From Our Editors
Anchovies and Olives: A User's Guide
- Crudo: sea-cow oyster
- Appetizer: fried chickpeas
- Entree: sockeye salmon with cauliflower, pistachios, currants, and smoked chili
Where to Sit: Ask for a seat near the open kitchen if you want to pick up tips from Chef Zach Chambers, a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America. From his humble beginnings as a dishwasher, Chef Chambers eventually went on to cook at the American Academy in Rome and Belltown’s Tavoláta before taking the Executive Chef position at Anchovies and Olives.
When to Go: The restaurant occasionally plans special events, such as the Earth Day dinner made with sustainable and locally sourced food. Or diners can sip wine and slurp oysters with their sweethearts on Valentine's Day—Anchovies and Olives was named one of the city's top Valentine's restaurants by Gayot. But you don't have to wait for a special occasion to visit A&O—Oyster Power Hour is Sunday–Thursday. On those days, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. and again from 10 p.m. until closing time, the oyster of the day is just $1, and there are drink specials as well.
- If you see geoduck on the seasonal menu, order it. According to Gayot, "Its delicate taste and slightly crunchy texture is a revelation."
- But if that's not on the menu, look for the escolar crudo, which GQ called one of the five best dishes of the year.
- Don't stress looking for a street spot; the first hour of parking at the nearby garage off Pine Street is free.
- Want to buy someone a gift card, or maybe just a couple beers? A&O is featured on Gratafy, an app that lets you send gift cards or even specific menu items—from drinks to oysters—directly to the recipient’s smartphone.
Crudo: Italian for "raw." It’s often used when referring to uncooked meat or seafood.
While You're in the Neighborhood
Before: Pamper yourself before dinner with a mani-pedi or massage at Polished Boutique Spa (1422 E Pine Street).
After: Get dessert at Old School Frozen Custard, which offers specialty frozen-custard flavors like Almond Joy or apple strudel. (1316 E Pike Street).
If You Can’t Make It, Try This: Chef Zach Chambers also heads the kitchen at sister restaurant and pizzeria Bar Cotta (1546 15th Avenue), located next door.