From Our Editors
Five Things to Know About Empire Espresso
Don’t let the name fool you—there’s more to Empire Espresso than coffee. In addition to sipping on a freshly brewed cup of joe, visitors can chow down on a Panini, work on their laptop, or even get a little tipsy during daily happy hours. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- The coffee is renowned. In fact, CNN picked Empire as one of Seattle’s top shops when it explored the world’s greatest coffee cities
- It serves addictive cornmeal waffles. Cooks prepare these fluffy creations, which they topp with gingerbread cookie butter and the like, to order on weekdays, and offer them as part of a waffle bar on weekends.
- They make a lot of stuff in-house. The list of homemade goodies includes the famous waffle batter, plus on-the-go treats like gluten-free energy bars.
- There’s a small selection of beer and wine. To help calm after-work nerves or post-coffee jitters, it serves a handful of wines and seven or eight beers—including a gluten-free option.
- A big garage door opens to the courtyard. This means that on nice days, Empire is flooded with fresh air and sunlight.