From Our Editors
Paseo Caribbean Restaurant: A User’s Guide
- Sandwich: popular Caribbean Roast sandwich with marinated pork, pickled jalapeños, and caramelized onions
- Vegetarian: Tofu Delight sandwich with sautéed tofu, garlic tapenade, pickled jalapeños, and caramelized onions
- Bowl: West Caribbean bowl with a chicken thigh atop jasmine rice, black beans, salsa, cheddar cheese, and jalapeños
- Seafood: Paseo prawn entree with sautéed black tiger prawns, house salad, jasmine rice, black beans, and seasoned corn on the cob
When to Go: Paseo is a popular choice with visitors and locals alike, and the line tends to stretch out the door. Try going during a weekday to avoid the rush.
Where to Sit: The restaurant’s Fremont location houses a few small tables in a cozy dining room, while the Ballard outpost is a walk-up stand with a few outdoor stools and picnic tables.
- You can call in an order ahead of time to sidestep the line entirely.
- Paseo’s two locations are cash-only, so be sure to stop by the ATM or your favorite buried stockpile before going in.
Awards and Acclaim
- Cuban meat sandwich named one of America’s best sandwiches by Esquire
- Restaurant rated the second best place to eat in the country by Yelp reviewers in 2014
- Named one of Seattle’s best cheap eats by Gayot