Hotel at a Glance: AbbyCreek Inn
The family-friendly AbbyCreek Inn is an ideal jumping-off place for outdoor adventures in the Methow Valley. A short drive will bring you to the Okanogan National Forest, where you can hike and bike amid the Cascade Range mountains. About 30 minutes away is the Loup Loup Ski Bowl—known as “the Loup” to locals—which offers 10 downhill ski runs and 15 miles of Nordic trails.
- Home away from home: Guest rooms feature mini fridges, microwaves, and free WiFi.
- Kick back after a long day by watching free movie rentals on your room’s 39-inch flat-screen TV.
- Fuel up: The free continental breakfast spread may include Belgian waffles, eggs, fruit, yogurt, biscuits and gravy, coffee, and flavored teas.
- Have a cookout: Fire up the grill and enjoy your meal in the riverside picnic area.
- Winter excitement: 300 plus miles of groomed trails and 1000’s of miles of snowmobile trails
Winthrop, Washington: Old West Town Surrounded by Forests
Set in a scenic valley carved out of the Cascade Range by glaciers, this remote region attracts hikers and mountain bikers in the warm months, and cross-country skiers in winter. Spring and summer are ideal for viewing wildlife and boating on the narrow, fjord-like Lake Chelan, one of the nation’s deepest bodies of water.
In the 1970s, Winthrop underwent an overhaul to pay homage to its gold-rush roots. Today, it looks like it might have in the 1880s, with hitching posts, Old West–style storefronts, and wooden-plank sidewalks. To get in the spirit of the era, you can watch cattle drives and medicine shows or wet your whistle at the oldest legal saloon in the state.