Groupon recently unveiled the results of its fourth annual global employee Volunteer-a-thon, a company-wide initiative that encourages community involvement during the month of June and throughout the entire year. This year’s event resulted in 1,565 employees volunteering more than 5,300 hours for 77 nonprofit partners and serving 57 communities around the world.
“We’re such big believers in building great communities that we made it one of our company values,” said Jay Klauminzer, vice president of local deals and executive sponsor Groupon’s employee volunteer program. “We’re thrilled that Grouponers are making a global difference by giving back to the organizations that are improving their neighborhoods on a daily basis.”
Highlights of the 2017 Groupon Employee Volunteer-a-thon’s 90 events included:
- Chicago: Worked with local Groupon merchant and nonprofit partner, Shedd Aquarium, to bring together 100 employees for a beach cleanup and habitat restoration on the shoreline of Lake Michigan
- Palo Alto, Calif. and Seattle: Partnered with local food banks, Second Harvest Food Bank and Food Lifeline, to sort and repackage rescued food
- Warsaw, Poland: Hosted a holiday picnic–including yard games and karaoke–at the House of Single Mothers and Children
- Bangalore, India: Visited the Diya Foundation and helped individuals with disabilities practice important social and emotional skills through a variety of activities and games
Throughout the month, Groupon teams competed to be the most involved in their local communities, with the winners––one North American team and one international team––getting the opportunity to award $5,000 to the charity of their choice, as well as sport this one-of-kind Groupon Volunteer-a-thon jacket.
With nearly 100 percent of their teams participating, the 2017 Volunteer-a-thon winners were the Groupon Chicago Legal team and the Groupon Australia office. Some of the volunteer projects completed by these teams included:
- Australia: Spent a full day at RSPCA working with animals and helping out with different maintenance projects around the facility
- Chicago Legal: Worked at Cradles to Crayons’ Giving Factory to assemble bags of clothes and other important essentials for deserving children
Groupon employees are on pace to top last year’s total of 13,000 hours volunteered in their local communities.