Today, we bring you a little something different on the Groupon blog. To celebrate National Vanilla Cupcake Day, Spice Islands® Trading Company and local gourmet cupcake van originator, Flirty Cupcakes, teamed up and shared a nom-inducing Cinnapple Cupcake recipe. Maybe it’s the holidays upon us triggering our basic instincts to prep for hibernation by storing confectioneries. Perhaps it’s the chill in the air reminding us that the best way to keep hands warm is to keep freshly baked goods in your pockets. Either way, we’re excited to try out this recipe and (somewhat reluctantly) share these delicious cupcakes with friends.
If you’re in Chicago and baking isn’t your cup of hot cider, don’t worry! Flirty Cupcakes and Spice Islands are offering a gourmet-cupcake package that is sure to satiate any holiday cupcake craving.
Click through to check out the Cinnapple Cupcake recipe!
Cinnamon Apple Cupcake With A Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoons Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 ¾ cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups Granny Smith Apples, peeled, small dice
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe below)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 1 muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small bowl that is microwave safe, combine the raisins and apple cider. Microwave for 30 seconds to plump raisins. Drain juice from raisins and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Being careful not to over-mix the batter, fold the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined. Add apples and raisins to the batter. Continue to mix until completely incorporated and well mixed.
- Divide batter into muffin tins.
- Bake the cupcakes 20 to 25 minutes until the tops spring back when touched. Allow to cool before frosting.
- Frost with the Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting and garnish with a pinch of cinnamon.
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
In a large mixing bowl, whip the cream cheese, butter, cinnamon, and vanilla together with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the powdered sugar on low speed until fully incorporated. Increase speed to high and whip until light and fluffy.