- Men plan to spend 35 percent more than women for their makeover with an average planned spend of $198 vs. $146 for women
- Americans plan to spend twenty minutes extra each day in the spring on beauty routines compared to the winter months
- People are three times more likely to start a new diet or fitness regime in the spring
- Buying new clothes, sporting a new haircut, making diet improvements, going to the gym and getting a pedicure were identified as the top ways to spruce up for spring
With the weather in many parts of the country this week feeling more like January than the last week of winter, we decided to spring forward by asking 2,000 Americans about the different levels of effort they put into feeling and looking their best during the winter and spring months. And according to the results, 60 percent of Americans are planning to do a personal ‘spring cleaning’ makeover as the weather changes. The survey conducted in recognition of Groupon’s spring beauty Out to Wow! collection––running from March 15-17––revealed that women are more likely to do a personal spring cleaning makeover than men, but men plan to spend 35 percent more than women ($198 vs. $146).
Participants also said that they plan to spend an extra 20 minutes each day in the spring on their personal beauty routines and are three times more likely to begin a new diet or fitness regime. Buying new clothes, sporting a new haircut, making diet improvements, going to the gym and getting a pedicure were identified as the top ways people spruce themselves up in the spring.
“It’s not surprising to see that so many people want to get a fresh start on feeling and looking their best now that winter is coming to a close,” said Silvija Martincevic, vice president and general manager of health, beauty and wellness, Groupon. “‘Me time’ tends to take a back seat in cold weather, which is why we typically see big increases in people buying services such as massages, mani-pedis, facials, laser hair removal, haircare and other wellness- and beauty-related services during the first week of spring.”
The survey, conducted by market researchers, OnePoll, and commissioned by Groupon found colder weather prompts nearly two-thirds of Americans to take a break from worrying about their image, with 51 percent saying the shorter days leave them with less energy to focus on taking care of themselves.
Thirty percent of respondents confess they put less effort into how they dress over the winter, and that might be why one in six say they’ve donned sweatpants with food stains at some point. Understandably, 55 percent of women admit they’re quite happy to shave their legs less regularly, while skincare routines, haircuts and other grooming rituals are also less frequent––with more than half saying they’ve grown hair in places they normally wouldn’t.
And if you’ve added a few pounds, then you’re not alone – nearly two-thirds of Americans have put on a little weight over the winter, with the average gain estimated at eight pounds.
Americans are most likely to start their personal spring cleaning makeover between March 6 and April 5, when four out of 10 report a spike in confidence due to the warmer weather.
Through its Out to Wow collection, Groupon is offering a number of ways for people to begin and save money on their spring revitalization at well-known places such as the following:
- Paul Mitchell the School (locations include: Atlanta, Charlotte, Columbia, S.C. and Houston)
- The Spa at Four Seasons Hotel/Resort (locations include: Baltimore, Maui, Hawaii, Palo Alto, Calif. and Santa Fe)
- CorePower Yoga (locations include: Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington, D.C.)
- MassageLuxe (Tampa, Fla., Orlando, Fla., Fort Lauderdale, Fla., San Francisco, Dallas, Middletown, NJ, South Brunswick, NJ)
- The LASIK Vision Institute (locations include: Detroit, Miami, New York, Phoenix and San Antonio)
- Aqua Star Babor Beauty Spa at The Beverly Hilton (Beverly Hills, Calif.)
- The Sisley-Paris Spa (New York)
- JW Marriott Miami SaLus Spa (Miami)
- Body Rituals Boutique Spa at the Westin (Chicago)
Out to Wow! offers users extra savings throughout the three days of the collection. Today only, users can find up to 80 percent off facials, massages, nail/hair care and more. Tomorrow, users will receive an EXTRA 25 percent off all health, beauty and wellness deals in the collection. On Friday, Groupon is running a ‘buy more, save more’ promotion, saving customers more money the more they personally spring clean, including $10 off $40, $20 off $75, $30 off $100 and $50 off $150.
To view the entire Out to Wow! collection, please visit https://www.groupon.com/occasion/out-to-wow-beauty.