All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Today's $10 Groupon gets you $20 worth of legal spirits in the Prohibition-themed 18th Amendment bar. Speakeasies were rollicking drinkeries where fans of booze joyously evaded prohibition laws, live music accompanied illicit fluids, and live fluids distracted everyone from noticing the illicit music. The backstair basement bar at 18th Amendment (named after the amendment that outlawed "intoxicating liquors") hearkens back to those sepia-toned days of men inconspicuously smuggling booze in oversized pants. The furniture is old whiskey boxes, beer barrels, and pews; stained glass, bar rails, and an iron-gated liquor room turn the spot (located at 613 Pennsylvania Ave., SE) into a gangster's getaway.
Unlike the dives of yesteryear, the largest bar on Capitol Hill boasts 12 beers on tap, bottled beers from around the world, more than 40 wines, infused liquors that change seasonally, and martinis made with fresh fruit purees. The main floor is swanky Art Deco-themed with a chrome ceiling, black-and-white tiled floor, and plenty of polished wood. There's a lounge area, Internet jukebox, flatscreen TVs, and a billiards table. You can use your Groupon to order from the dinner menu or late-night menu (if you hunger for the reputed breakfast pizza).
In a land where justice is outlawed, the just must become outlaws. In a land where alcohol is outlawed, the boozers must become outlaws. In a land where Utah Jazz forward Carlos Boozer is outlawed, Carlos Boozer must move his family and play in the inferior European Leagues. But in a land where boozers are legally acceptable, the boozers who want to feel like outlaws must visit a prohibition-themed speakeasy.
- Friendly neighborhoody type place - easy to feel like you're hanging with the locals. Downstairs is comfortable (if a bit small) for playing pool and having drinks - like you're in a friend's basement, only, with a cash bar. – b1b2b3, Zagat
- This is a pretty good place to get a drink on Capitol Hill. It's nice and quiet, and I love the 20's themed decor. Bartenders are polite, not snooty. – Chelsea E., Yelp
- I go here to drink beer and play Rock Band and hang out, and it's a great place to do just that -- they have Magners on tap and the staff has always been hilarious and polite. – Julie P., Yelp
Breakfast Pizza Reviews by Prohibition-era Gangsters
- There's nothing I like more than spending a night on the town carousing, dealing blackjack games, discussing fine-tailored undergarments, and smuggling exotic parakeets by swallowing exotic-parakeet-filled balloons. Well, except one thing—the breakfast pizza. – Al Capone
- The breakfast pizza is an intoxicating blend of fried eggs, mouthwatering bacon, and an aromatic blend of fine cheeses delicately slathered with Steph's sausage gravy. It's delicious! – Fred "Killer" Burke
- Yeah, see, it's like the butter and egg man, see. This chippy got a Jersey angle to it, see. It's a clip joint of daisy dame and dingus dangle from the dry-gulch and duck soup, see. – Joseph Stalin
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Dec 2, 2009. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per table per visit. May purchase multiple as gifts. Not valid with any other offers. Tax and gratuity not included. Valid for dine-in only. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.