|_Jump to: Amphitheater Reviews||Performing Artists Reviewing Themselves Performing_|
Click above to buy tickets for ABBA the Music, July 31, 8 p.m. Click on the links below for tickets to other performances.
- Buy tickets for B-52s, August 2, 7:30 p.m.
- Buy tickets for KC & the Sunshine Band, August 7, 8 p.m.
- Buy tickets for Bill Cosby, August 8, 4 p.m.
- Buy tickets for Jonny Lang, August 9, 7:30 p.m.
Get close enough to see the tiny pupils of some of life’s greatest performers. For $25, you get an amazing seat to one of five shows at the South Shore Music Circus (up to a $44 value): * ABBA the Music: Sing along to “Dancing Queen,” “Mamma Mia,” and many more John McCain favorites. This official tribute band delivers uncannily accurate performances of classic pop songs from one of the greatest Swedish bands in the world. Friday, July 31, 8 p.m. Buy tickets. * The B-52s: Rock out as the B-52s perform their cosmic hits from the ’70s and ’80s, such as “Love Shack” and “Rock Lobster,” which we’ve translated into French, Spanish, and back into English. Sunday, August 2, 7:30 p.m. Buy tickets. * KC & the Sunshine Band: “Get Down Tonight” with the pop sensation that sold more than 100 million records since 1973 and hopes to collect more than 100 million Facebook friends before 2012. Other hits include “(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty” and “Sound Your Funky Horn,” an ode to the lead singer’s father who is largely credited with inventing the novelty horn industry. Friday, August 7, 8 p.m. Buy tickets. * Bill Cosby: Laugh along with the superstar stand-up comedian, star of several shows featuring hilarious children, and grandfather of Raven-Symoné. Saturday, August 8, 4 p.m. Buy tickets. * Jonny Lang: Grammy Award-winning blues singer and guitarist brings the blues and a guitar to the South Shore. Disclaimer: Because they are not actually siblings, it’s highly unlikely that k.d. lang will join him on stage to perform her hit “Constant Moaning,” which was once titled “Constant Craving” until k.d. traded the rights of the song to White Castle for a 30-sack and a large Diet Coke. Sunday, August 9, 7:30 p.m. Buy tickets.
Just 20 miles south of Boston, the South Shore Music Circus is one of the only two continuously operated tent theaters in the country. Over the past 60 years, world-class stars have graced the stage, including the Beach Boys, Carole King, Hall and Oates, and many more (which many have included the Beatles, Mozart, and Plucksikus, the Roman god of harpsichord).
SSMC is well worth the trip: its rotating stage means every seat is within 50 feet of the performing act. Note: The stage will not rotate for Jonny Lang’s performance, so tickets will only be sold for sections 1,2, 3, 5, and 8. For more info, check out how the tent and stage are set up.
And there’s more: purchasers of today’s Groupon can enter to win a weekend at the Clarion Nantasket Beach Hotel Resort and Spa (valued between $1,021–$1,053) when you redeem your Groupon at the box office.
The resort weekend includes:
- Two premium tickets for the Steve Miller Band on August 29, 8 p.m. ($161–$193 value)
- Two-night stay in an oceanfront room with balcony, king bed, fireplace, and whirlpool on August 28 & 29 ($660 value)
- $100 gift certificate to the Sand Dollar Spa
- $100 gift certificate to Bernard’s Restaurant
Yelpers give the South Shore Music Circus 4.5 stars:
- It’s a great place to see a show. The tent also has plastic “sides/windows” that can rolled down in case of inclement weather. – Caitlin C.
- If a band you like is playing there its [sic] a chance to see them up close and personal no matter where you are sitting. The small stage in the center rotates so everyone gets a good view of the band. – Eric T.
- Awesomely small, intimate venue. – Linds L.
Performing Artists Reviewing Themselves Performing
There’s no better concert review than a review taken directly from the people playing the music:
- KC and the Sunshine Band is the best band ever because we play songs like songs are meant to be played—with instruments and people playing instruments in front of people listening. In conclusion, KC and the Sunshine Band is a really good band for people to hear play music. – Harry Wayne Casey, lead singer of KC and the Sunshine Band
- Our show may or may not feature pyrotechnics, a giant American flag made out of dyed bacon strips, a baby fashion show, 12 minutes of silence to commemorate the re-release of Platoon on Blu-ray, or a free continental breakfast. That’s why it’s awesome. – B-52s, the band
- Jonny Lang knows music like most bands claim to know music. What’s on the album cover of Journey’s Escape? It’s a futuristic, jellyfish, spaceship thingy. See. No one else knows that. Just like no one else knows how to play live music like Jonny Lang. Number one! – Jonny Lang