Music soothes the savage beast, which is why wild-game hunters always pack a sousaphone in their gear to toot at suspicious bears. Discover musical serenity with today's Groupon for two season passes to the Abilene Philharmonic Orchestra. All concerts are on Saturdays at 8 p.m. in the Abilene Civic Center. Choose from the following options:
• For $83, you get two classical passes to four classical concerts on Sept. 24, 2011; Oct. 29, 2011; Jan. 28, 2012; and April 21, 2012, valid for rows S–Z on the seating chart (a $166 value).
• For $112, you get two classical passes valid for rows F–R (a $224 value).
• For $79, you get two pops passes to three pops concerts on Dec. 3, 2011; Feb. 25, 2012; and April 12, 2012, valid for rows S–Z (a $158 value).
• For $99, you get two pops passes valid for rows F–R (a $198 value).
• For $137, you get two full passes to all seven season concerts, valid for rows S–Z (a $274 value).
• For $187, you get two full passes, valid for rows F–R (a $374 value).
The Abilene Philharmonic Orchestra's music director and conductor, David Itkin, flourishes his baton to command majestic, whimsical, and exhilarating sound from the instruments of skilled musicians adept at many musical styles. Visitors to the orchestra choose from a variety of dates and theme packages, including the classical series of concerts, which opens with a celebration of Beethoven, featuring his Symphony No. 5, with its ominous, unforgettable opening best known in modern times as the signal that a houseguest has forgotten to take off his or her shoes. As the season unfolds, the music maestros reveal time-honored masterpieces such as Dvořák's epic Symphony No. 9, "From the New World." The Abilene Philharmonic's pops series of concerts showcases the adaptable orchestra spinning symphonic spires of well-known catchy tunes. Waves of velvety harmony wash over the Abilene Civic Center auditorium's rows of continental-style red seating and arched tier balcony during performances spotlighting Christmas classics, Gershwin melodies, and cabaret favorites as familiar and comforting as oatmeal cookies dunked in warm oatmeal.
Original Town North
402 Cypress St.
Abilene, Texas 79601Get Directions