Somewhere between visions of sugarplums and a lump of coal lies a hilariously cynical gray area that often goes unvisited during the holidays. Today’s deal will take you there: for $10, you get one general admission ticket to The Santaland Diaries (a $20 value) at the Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte, a theater company that also garnered a Best of Charlotte 2009 Award from Creative Loafing's critics and readers. There are limited seats available for each show, so call the number on your Groupon to reserve your seat as soon as you can.
Based on an essay by acclaimed writer and humorist David Sedaris, The Santaland Diaries is a one-man autobiographical retelling of Sedaris’s stint as an elf at Macy’s. The play essentially puts the audience in the employee break room at Macy’s, where an employee named Crumpet spills the beans on the inner workings of mass retailers during the holidays. His witty and humorous lamenting details everything he and his fellow disgruntled happy helpers want to say but can’t, due to their seasonal obligation to keep up their merry elfish facade.
Learn the true meaning of Christmas (insanity) in this satirical romp through the holidays. The lounge-style atmosphere of the show’s presentation adds to the intimate confessional feel. Traditional seats are replaced with cocktail tables and chairs, and there is access to a bar stocked with wine and beer. Grab a few drinks with friends and revel in the trepidation that often goes hand-in-hand with the happiest time of the year.
Both critics and readers chose the performance troupe as the Charlotte's Best Theater Company in 2009.
- A repeat winner….Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte made its 20th season a true milestone. Along with the usual surpassing excellence of Lieutenant of Inishmore, Rabbit Hole, and Blue and successful remounts of Santaland Diaries and Bat Boy, Actor’s Theatre surpassed itself with the world premiere of Eric Coble’s Southern Rapture. – Creative Loafing
Sedaris’s biting social satire is a breath of frosty fresh air in a culture dominated by superfluous holidays. In fact, in the time it took you to read this sentence, five new holidays have already been invented. Better get shopping for the following:
- “There’s Cake in the Break Room For Some Reason” Day
- Arbor-American Remembrance Day
- “Talk Like a Pirate to Mask the Pain of Your Divorce” Day
- Die Hard Day (formerly Flag Day)
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
650 E Stonewall St
Charlotte, North Carolina 28202Get Directions