During the Age of Discovery, explorers would sail the untamed oceans in search of spices, even though their dinner was usually cold by the time they got back. Today's Groupon delivers a taste of new worlds in a fraction of the time: for $10, you get $20 worth of select spices, hot sauces, condiments, and more at Adriana's Caravan. See the sidebar for condiments covered by this Groupon.
Like an online Arabian bazaar, Adriana's Caravan stocks its cyber-stall with an encyclopedic array of spices, chilis, hot sauces, oils, and other ingredients, all broken down into easy-to-search categories. The bold flavor of pomegranate molasses ($5.95/14 oz.) adds an exotic sweetness to a standard-issue Thanksgiving turducken, while a dollop of chili-spicy Indonesian Conimex Sambal Oelek ($8.50/13 oz.) will distract your taste buds from the fact that most of the things you feed them are made of wax. Owner Rochelle Zabarkes's cookbook, Adriana's Spice Caravan ($14.95), helps newbies navigate through the site's piquant plethora and demonstrates how to jazz up tomorrow's leftovers with such esoteric condiments as O Porto port vinegar ($14.95) and the Franco-flavored Olivier Napa Valley wild mushroom duxelle with chardonnay ($9.95). Otherwise, test your tongue's ability to re-enter earth's atmosphere with Neera’s spicy vindaloo paste ($5.25). The spice shop's customer-service team is just a phone call away at all times, and will happily answer questions on seasonings and spice and everything nice.
Adriana's Caravan was featured by Littleviews:
- Ms. Zabarkes consulted cookbooks from every country in the world, ultimately creating loose-leaf cookbooks that she made available in her shop. Customers not only consulted these recipes, they could take duplicate pages, then wander around the store, filling their baskets with specified ingredients. – Karen Little, Littleviews
This Groupon is valid toward the following condiments:
- Pomegranate molasses ($5.95)
- Neera's spicy vindaloo paste ($5.25)
- Conimex sambal oelek ($8.50 for 13 oz.)
- Harvest Song sour cherry preserves ($9.25)
- Made in Napa Valley Korean soy ginger marinade ($9.95)
- Stonewall Kitchen roasted garlic and onion jam ($7.95)
- Olivier Napa Valley wild mushroom duxelle with chardonnay ($9.95)
- Le Mas des Abeilles rosemary honey ($11.50)
- Columela Hojiblanca extra virgin olive oil ($25.95)
- O Porto port vinegar ($14.95)
- Maida Cilantro white figs in vinaigrette ($16.95)