Mediterranean civilizations invented many lasting concepts, developing astronomy to explain the cosmos and democracy to equally divide beef kebabs. Split a skewer with today’s Groupon to Al-Sultan Restaurant. Choose between the following options:
- For $25, you get a Middle Eastern dinner for two (up to a $55 total value) that includes the following:
- One appetizer platter (an $11 value)
- Two entrees (up to a $22 value each)<p>
- For $45, you get a Middle Eastern dinner for four (up to a $110 total value) that includes the following:
- Two appetizer platters (an $11 value each)
- Four entrees (up to a $22 value each)<p>
Culled from traditional Middle Eastern recipes, Al-Sultan’s Halal menu wields distinction as one of the top 20 Best Victoria Restaurants 2010 by Times Colonist critic Pam Grant. An appetizer platter heavy with hummus, baba ganoush, and pita bread warm up chewing muscles in preparation for the evening’s remaining edible Olympics. Then, diners each choose entrees, such as the shawarma platter, that opens culinary journeys with sweetly spiced marinated chicken and grilled pita bread, the greatest thing since sliced pita bread. Vegetarians can cut their teeth on meat-free entrees such as grape-vine leaves stuffed with rice and herbs or the restaurant’s falafel plate starring rotund fried chickpea and fava bean noshes hailed by food critic Grant as “the best falafel I have eaten in Victoria.” Decorated with lush plants, richly patterned rugs, and wrought-iron lamps, the restaurant’s interior offers ample space for group dinners or kebab tug-of-wars.