What You'll Get
Running a marathon requires cardiovascular stamina, leg strength, and the ability to whisk gnats away from one's noseholes using nothing but an energy bar chewed into the shape of a fly swatter. Ready your edible gnat-smacker with today's Groupon, which gets you registration for the Amica Marathon and additional races to be held in Newport on October 16 and 17. Choose from four options:
- $47 for registration in the Amica Marathon on October 17 (a $95 value)
- $30 for registration in the UnitedHeathcare Half Marathon on October 17 (a $60 value)
- $25 for individual registration in the Marathon Team Relay on October 17 (a $50 value)
- $15 for registration in the Amica 5K on October 16 (a $30 value)
The Amica Marathon, which serves as a Boston Marathon qualifier, is a 26.2-mile, moundeously curving course on Newport and Middletown roads. The scenic race starts downtown, between Easton Pond and Easton Bay, and takes the fleet-footed down Narragansett Avenue, around Fort Adams State Park, and past an actual-size Mount Rushmore made out of old tires. The raceway is supplemented with numerous aid stations, restrooms, and food stops serving GU Energy Gels and braised lamb shanks in a red-wine chocolate sauce.
For racers not ready for the full 26.2, the UnitedHealthcare Half Marathon or the marathon team relay (with five people) cut down on the number of strides required to reach the finish line. Entrants into these races also get a goody bag, an official race shirt (first 4,000 people), a finisher's medal, access to the Health and Wellness Expo, and more. There's also the Amica 5k, which is billed as a warm-up for Sunday.
All participants of legal age in Sunday's races will have their thirst quenched with a complimentary beer from Harpoon Brewery at the finish line, and their hearts warmed by donations made by the Amica Marathon to the Ronald McDonald House of Providence, which provides programs that directly aid seriously ill children and their families.
Runners must complete registration by October 8.
- The beautifully scenic rocky coastline of southern Rhode Island forms the backdrop for Newport's Amica Marathon & UnitedHealthcare Half Marathon, the race formerly known as the Breakers Marathon, which takes runners on a point-to-point course along this town on Aquidneck Island and features views of the water throughout nearly the entire race route. – HalfMarathons.net
- Newport is an ideal place for running and these races are made for you. There is a reason why the rich and famous chose Newport for vacation “cottages”; why professional tennis has been played at the International Tennis Hall of Fame; why America’s Cup races were sailed there; why folk festivals and jazz festivals are held there, why the Kennedy’s were married and vacationed there: It is simply a gorgeous location, and a place that is unique to America. – Skip Cleaver, Cool Running
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Oct 8, 2010. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person. Valid only for race day and event purchased. Must register by 10/8. No cash back. Not valid with other offers. Check website for race updates. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.