Bagels were once the lubricant of our economic system, preferred by fancy cats who loved to wear them as collars. Today's Groupon gives you a dozen bagels and eight ounces of cream cheese from The Bagel Broker for $6, a $12 value. Fuel your morning routine; your afternoon bagels-and-Pilates sessions; or your rabid, bagel-craving pet rock with ultra-premium bageline.
The Bagel Broker makes its bagels on premises using high-gluten, unbleached wheat flour, a little bit of sugar, salt, yeast, and water. The master bagel makers first boil the dough, then bake it into tasty bagels. Twice featured on Entourage, The Bagel Broker’s bagels cater to all palates with revolutionary flavors, including cheese onion, jalapeno cheddar, cinnamon raisin, poppy seed, sesame seed, onion, bialy, wheat, rye, and bagel-flavored. Coat your bagels with flavored spreads, including regular and light cream cheese, lox spread, veggie or chive, peanut butter and jelly, and more.
Bagels are more useful than beagles, eagles, and seagulls; share your dozen with your mail carrier, give a few to the neighbors upstairs, or keep them all for yourself for a rainy day.
- New Yorkers aren't supposed to admit that any other city can make a good bagel, so this review comes after much soul-searching deliberation. The Bagel Broker has done it. – NewYorkSnob, Citysearch
- After dragging in, pre-dawn, there is nothing more heartening than a heaping platter of fresh bagels waiting for us. – hautest, Citysearch
- I love this place, it is a studio favorite of ours... – filmm8kr900, Urbanspoon
Guide to Inaccurate Numbers
A dozen means 12, yet a baker's dozen means 13. While the term baker's dozen is fairly well known, here's a guide to other non-accurate numbers to avoid future confusion:
- Fireman's Dozen: Means only eight, and refers to the number of months in the annual Sexy Firemen Calendar.
- Jeffrey Henmark's Couple: Couple usually means two, but nobody has ever met Henmark's girlfriend because she lives in Canada.
- The Matrix Trilogy: Actually refers to just one movie and two completely forgotten wastes of time.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
The hardest workers at Bagel Broker aren't allowed a lunch break or time to sleep—they bake bagels continuously throughout the day. However, because they're ovens, they aren't aware of their own work ethic. They produce 18 varieties of bagels, from plain to pumpernickel to the popular cheese onion, whose doughy rings satisfy even "New York transplants," according to Epicurious. Guests can decorate their bagels with whipped cream cheese and several types of spreads, or opt for heartier sandwich options, such as breakfast combinations of eggs and meat or slices of nova lox. The Tarnol family father and son team—owners of the shop for 30 years—steers clear of added fats, preservatives, and oils when creating the signature food. The shop also compiles catering platters for group functions such as corporate complaining parties.