Yogis of all experience levels can engage their bodies and enhance their practice with sessions focused on breath and body awareness
All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Choose from Four Options
- $15 for 5 yoga classes ($65 value)
- $29 for 10 yoga classes ($100 value)
- $20 for one month of unlimited yoga classes ($95 value)
- $69 for three months of unlimited yoga classes ($285 value)
Three Things to Know About Yoga
Few fitness disciplines meld relaxation and strength-building like yoga. Read on to learn about its surprising origins and incredible diversity.
1. In Sanskrit, yoga means “union.” (The word shares a root with the English word “yoke.”) The things being united are the mind, body, and breath, as practitioners use motion to guide the thoughts toward peaceful awareness and away from the funny-looking dog walking past the studio window.
2. Historically, strength and flexibility were probably just side benefits. In fact, some of the first Indian yogis to arrive to the U.S. explicitly rejected asanas, or postures, as a distraction from meditation. Recent research by yogi and scholar Mark Singleton indicates that, starting in the 1920s, a Scandinavian fitness system known as Primitive Gymnastics became wildly popular in India, and began to meld with far older yoga traditions that were more concerned with breath and focus. Around the same time, other teachers in India traveled the country teaching strengthening and combat techniques under the guise of yoga, in the hopes of preparing to rise against British rule. This complex stew of influences eventually produced the blend of movement and meditation most Westerners recognize as yoga today.
3. Today an estimated 20–30 million North Americans practice yoga. What that looks like in practice is wildly diverse—everything from sweaty, tolerance-testing hot yoga to quick-flowing vinyasa yoga to “laughter yoga,” which combines yogic breathing with deliberate laughter to ease stress. One of yoga’s greatest virtues is its adaptability: props make classes accessible to older students, and prenatal classes teach pregnant women poses that take into account their extra-stretchy ligaments and tendency toward lower-back pain.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires 120 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Reservation required for first visit. Must activate by expiration date on voucher; one-month option expires 1 month after activation, three-month option expires 3 months after activation, 5-class pass expires 1 month after activation, 10-class pass expires 2 months after activation. Subject to availability. May redeem across visits. Must sign waiver. Limit 1 per person, may buy 2 additional as gift(s). Limit 1 per visit. New customers only. Valid only for option purchased. Voucher is non-transferable. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.