Cover bands are a great way to hear live versions of songs from groups that have broken up, no longer tour, or are still trapped in a Porta-Potty from the last festival they played at. Give ears a second chance with today's Groupon: for $5, you get one ticket to one of Belly Up's Summer Tribute Series concerts in Solana Beach (a $10 value). Choose from the following options:
• 80's Night!, featuring Poisonous and Livin on a Prayer, on Friday, July 22, at 9 p.m.
• Punk Rocker Night, featuring Generator, Socially Distorted, and Tawnie and the Replaceables, on Friday, July 29, at 9 p.m.
• Dazed and Confused, Back 2 Black, Rushed, and DJ ManCat, on Friday, August 5, at 9 p.m.
• 70's vs. 80's Night, featuring Wayward Sons, Way Cool Jr., and DJ ManCat, on Friday, August 12, at 9 p.m.
• Beatles vs. Stones Night, featuring Rubber Souls, Rocks Off, and Elite Elvis Tribute, on Friday, August 19, at 9 p.m.
• 90's Night, featuring Red Not Chili Peppers, Vitalogy, No Duh!, and DJ ManCat, on Friday, August 26, at 9 p.m.
Belly Up's Summer Tribute Series conjures musical nostalgia with concerts by an eclectic mix of cover bands. The music of 80's Night! pulls out different threads from the decade's fabric, braiding together sounds ranging from the hair metal of Poison to the arena anthems of Bon Jovi. Tributes to Bad Religion and Social Distortion spark the crowds on Punk Rocker Night, before Tawnie and the Replaceables ignite the stage with flame-throwing guitars and an incendiary lineup of songs by classic punk bands such as The Clash, The Ramones, and The Misfits. Beatles vs. Stones Night manages to sneak in Elite Elvis Tribute with the headlining cover bands, Rocks Off, who pull from the late 1960s to mid-1970s segment of the Rolling Stones' decades-spanning career, and Rubber Souls, who steer the crowd through the Beatles timeline with period-specific costume changes and time-traveling roller skates. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. for all shows.