All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Big-Ass Sandwiches take the art of the sandwich to skyscraper-esque heights, with a menu of items that are heavy on the ingredients. Plunge face-first into the titular sandwich ($5), a mound of either turkey, roast beef, or ham smothered in handcut fries and then grilled. Herbivores can opt for a veggie version ($6) with meatless meat, while late-risers or late-to-bedders can welcome midday with the Big-Ass Breakfast Sandwich ($6), topped with eggs and bacon or sausage. For diners wishing to test out their surgically-implanted second stomach, Big-Ass Sandwiches serves the Gutbomb ($7), loaded with double meat. Béchamel cheese sauce can be added to any sandwich for $1, with a number of other extras and toppings available, such as coleslaw, jalapeños, horseradish, mushrooms, and grilled onions ($0.50 per topping). Before resuming your marathon race, chase down your eats with a Mexican soda ($1.50).
The dual experience of husband-and-wife culinary team Brian and Lisa Wood makes for an uncompromisingly-grand sandwich experience, with roasted meats and house-brewed sauces laid upon ciabatta rolls from local bakery Fleur De Lis. Big-Ass Sandwiches' cart is open for lunch every weekday and into the early morning on Fridays and Saturdays. Bike delivery is available for an extra charge. Get a Big-Ass Sandwich and wash your mouth out with the soap of savory sandwichery.
This deal can also be used toward the purchase of t-shirts.
Part of the Portland food-cart craze, Big-Ass Sandwiches has received extensive local and national press. It has been featured in Portland Monthly magazine, Willamette Week, as well as in both local and national food (and food-cart) blogs including Food Carts Portland, Roaming Hunger, Eater, Serious Eats and Stumptown Vegans. Local Portland band, the Punk Group, has even recorded a jingle in honor of Big-Ass Sandwiches. Yelpers give Big Ass Sandwiches four stars and 95% of Urbanspooners recommend it:
- It’s like a Snuggie for your stomach. – Willamette Week
- I swear on a stack of take-out menus that I am NOT pimping for Brian and Lisa Wood, the diabolical masterminds behind Big-Ass Sandwiches. I don’t owe them money, and they did not save my life back in ’Nam. But come on! How can I realistically keep a sandwich like this under my hat? – John Chandler, Portland Monthly
- Big-A** Sandwiches is a another great addition to the food cart bonanza of 2009. These are large sandwiches, so if that dissuades you, don’t let it. Grab a friend and split the sandwich. You won’t be disappointed. – Food Carts Portland
- Although most of the food carts in Portland are pretty amazing, BAS is the only cart I know I can send ANYONE, and they always love it. – Top Men, Urbanspoon
- Amazing weekly specials, huge sandwiches big enough for two, creamy bechamel sauce and home-roasted turkey and roast beef...how can you go wrong? I am a regular customer and I intend to stay that way! – Morgan R., Yelp
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Dec 8, 2010. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per customer, may buy multiple as gifts. Limit 1 per visit. No cash back. Delivery charges not included. Not valid with other offers. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.