Big-Ass Sandwiches take the art of the sandwich to skyscraper-esque heights, with a menu of items that are heavy on the ingredients. Plunge face-first into the titular sandwich ($5), a mound of either turkey, roast beef, or ham smothered in handcut fries and then grilled. Herbivores can opt for a veggie version ($6) with meatless meat, while late-risers or late-to-bedders can welcome midday with the Big-Ass Breakfast Sandwich ($6), topped with eggs and bacon or sausage. For diners wishing to test out their surgically-implanted second stomach, Big-Ass Sandwiches serves the Gutbomb ($7), loaded with double meat. Béchamel cheese sauce can be added to any sandwich for $1, with a number of other extras and toppings available, such as coleslaw, jalapeños, horseradish, mushrooms, and grilled onions ($0.50 per topping). Before resuming your marathon race, chase down your eats with a Mexican soda ($1.50).
The dual experience of husband-and-wife culinary team Brian and Lisa Wood makes for an uncompromisingly-grand sandwich experience, with roasted meats and house-brewed sauces laid upon ciabatta rolls from local bakery Fleur De Lis. Big-Ass Sandwiches' cart is open for lunch every weekday and into the early morning on Fridays and Saturdays. Bike delivery is available for an extra charge. Get a Big-Ass Sandwich and wash your mouth out with the soap of savory sandwichery.
This deal can also be used toward the purchase of t-shirts.
Part of the Portland food-cart craze, Big-Ass Sandwiches has received extensive local and national press. It has been featured in Portland Monthly magazine, Willamette Week, as well as in both local and national food (and food-cart) blogs including Food Carts Portland, Roaming Hunger, Eater, Serious Eats and Stumptown Vegans. Local Portland band, the Punk Group, has even recorded a jingle in honor of Big-Ass Sandwiches. Yelpers give Big Ass Sandwiches four stars and 95% of Urbanspooners recommend it:
- It’s like a Snuggie for your stomach. – Willamette Week
- I swear on a stack of take-out menus that I am NOT pimping for Brian and Lisa Wood, the diabolical masterminds behind Big-Ass Sandwiches. I don’t owe them money, and they did not save my life back in ’Nam. But come on! How can I realistically keep a sandwich like this under my hat? – John Chandler, Portland Monthly
- Big-A** Sandwiches is a another great addition to the food cart bonanza of 2009. These are large sandwiches, so if that dissuades you, don’t let it. Grab a friend and split the sandwich. You won’t be disappointed. – Food Carts Portland
- Although most of the food carts in Portland are pretty amazing, BAS is the only cart I know I can send ANYONE, and they always love it. – Top Men, Urbanspoon
- Amazing weekly specials, huge sandwiches big enough for two, creamy bechamel sauce and home-roasted turkey and roast beef...how can you go wrong? I am a regular customer and I intend to stay that way! – Morgan R., Yelp
Old Town - Chinatown
SW 3rd St. and Ash St.
Portland, Oregon 97204Get Directions