Troubadourable folk buddies Simon and Garfunkel once sang that "it's all happening at the zoo" before retiring from music to live out their days serenely basking in the reptile habitat. Get happening with today's Groupon for membership to the Blank Park Zoo on SW 9th Street. Choose from three options:
- For $34, you get a one-year One Plus One membership for one adult and one guest (a $69 value).
- For $44, you get a one-year Family or one-year Grandparent membership for two adults and all children or grandchildren ages 18 and under (an $89 value).
- For $49, you get a one-year Family Plus membership for two adults, all children ages 18 and under, and two guests (a $99 value).
One of Iowa's only accredited zoos, Blank Park Zoo houses more than 1,000 animals that represent more than 100 different species. Members can memorize the zoo map and wander the wild wonderland in search of tigers, prairie dogs, giant geckos, black swans, and ring-tailed lemurs. On Member Mondays (Memorial Day through Labor Day weekends), they can also take a free scenic ride on the choo-choo train and chug past lions' lairs and the velociraptor pens. The full list of membership benefits includes a 10% discount on plush playthings or nature-themed board games at the Wildthings Gift Shop, as well as reduced admission to more than 160 zoos and aquariums across the United States.
- If you happen to end up near Des Moines, Iowa with young kids, take them to the zoo. I happened to be in Des Moines with my young kids and they had a great time at the Blank Park Zoo. – Doug Cornelius, Wired
- Congratulations, Des Moines, on your beautiful zoo. Next time I want to be refreshed, I intend to DO THE ZOO again. – 4beingrefreshed, TripAdvisor
Blank Park Zoo
Blank Park Zoo educates the public about the wonders of the wild by re-creating far-flung habitats and ecosystems that house more than 1,000 animals and 104 different species ranging from Siberian tigers to hissing cockroaches. Zookeepers lead chats about animals and offer conservation tips, while exhibits include hands-on feedings that allow humans to go face-to-face or nose-to-beak with hungry giraffes and parakeets. Recent new arrivals welcome curious kids to commiserate with the growing pains and early bedtimes of young wallabies, camels, and seal pups, setting a foundation for learning that may be continued in classes designed for those aged 6 months to 5 years.
In addition to raising awareness about the environment, Blank Park Zoo contributes to conservation efforts to preserve the future of native animals and their natural homes. The zoo participates in seven endangered-species breeding programs and donates a portion of admissions proceeds to several different wildlife initiatives.
7401 SW 9th St.
Des Moines, Iowa 50315Get Directions