If woolly mammoths had mastered the triple lutz, they would’ve made it out of the Ice Age and into the Bronze Age, if not the Silver or Gold Age. Ensure your long-term survival with today’s Groupon to Brenton Skating Plaza. Choose from the following options:
- For $8, you get admission and skate rental for two (up to a $16 value).
- For $30, you get one child or senior season pass (a $60 value).
- For $37, you get one adult season pass (a $75 value).
- For $47, you get a season pass for a family of two (a $95 value).
- For $65, you get a season pass for a family of three (a $130 value).
- For $82, you get a season pass for a family of four (a $165 value).
- For $99, you get a season pass for a family of five or more (a $199 value).
Beneath the unearthly blue glow of the plaza’s exterior building, groups of up to 220 skaters blissfully circle Brenton Skating Plaza’s glassy ice rink. Visiting pairs slip into figure or hockey skates before gliding on the 60’x120’ outdoor rink’s 2-inch-thick ice, which represents the combined effort of 8,000 gallons of water, 3 miles of refrigerating piping, and one overworked Zamboni. Solo and family season-pass holders gain unlimited access to public-skate sessions, held every day, descending upon the icy surface to carve gigantic figure eights or to perfect rapid cross-overs. However, season passes do not include skate rentals, so visitors without their own skates must rent them ($3/visit) or cobble together a pair by duct-taping butcher knives to ski boots. Open until 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, skaters can speed around the rink practicing their hand-holding techniques and triple lutzes under the stars.
Brenton Skating Plaza
Brenton Skating Plaza's outdoor ice-skating rink is comprised of a 160'x60' sheet of ice that can hold up to 220 skaters. There, skaters—equipped with one of 450 pairs of skates available for rent—can cut lines through the ice in the open air. Throughout the season, which stretches from November to March, the rink hosts skating lessons, broomball games, and public skating, 7 days a week and on holidays. Those looking to warm their insides or have a treat, can enjoy a hot chocolate or snack from the concessions offered on site.
520 Robert D Ray Dr.
Des Moines, Iowa 50309Get Directions