- $73 for admission for two to the Bugs & Beer event on June 18 ($100 value)
On Thursday, June 18, participants gather at the Butterfly Pavilion for a craft beer and food tasting event. While sipping local craft beers from Westminster Brewing, and getting a behind-the-scenes look at the Pavilion, guests will nosh on eats from Scratch Catering, The Pines Catering, and Jules Gourmet Catering. The event runs from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Beetles, butterflies, and spiders, oh my. Those account for just some of the more than 5,000 tiny creatures that call Butterfly Pavilion home. The zoo wants the world to appreciate invertebrates, which make up 97 percent of the world's animal species, and to that end its grounds show off the diversity of their habitats.
- Size: an 11-acre campus and a 30,000-sq.-ft. indoor facility with four exhibit halls.
- Eye Catchers: 1,600 butterflies flap their colorful wings across the Tropical Conservatory.
- Crown Jewel: Crawl-A-See-Em, home of tiny creatures including Rosie the tarantula.
- Don't Miss: the outdoor gardens and nature trails, where grasses, orchids, and other plants attract insects at different stages of their lives, including those angst-filled months inside the cocoon.
- Hands-On Activities: touch sea stars, sea cucumbers, and horseshoe crabs at Water's Edge.
- Special Programs: Rainforest Yoga classes.