Early magicians used the scents of fine meats and cheeses to levitate their assistants so that they could blissfully bob through hoops. Today's Groupon will likely cause similar cartoonish flotation at Calvert Woodley Fine Wines & Spirits on Connecticut Avenue. Choose between the following options:
- For $38, you get four bottles of wine (a $76 value).
- For $10, you get $20 worth of cheese, deli meats, specialty edibles, and more at La Cheeserie and International Deli at Calvert Woodley Fine Wines & Spirits.
Calvert Woodley is a venerable wine and cheese shop, boasting a dizzying variety of spirits and spirited accoutrements along with a free parking lot and easy accessibility to the Van Ness Metro stop. La Cheeserie has assembled more than 130 cheeses from all stretches of the third rock. Alongside the numerous slices of dairy candy, you'll find premium deli meats as well as salads and H&H Bagels shipped from New York daily and finished inside La Cheeserie's in-house ovens ($0.99 each). Opt for the quartet of wines and be feted with barbershop tunes from the Evergreen State's Sagelands Freddie's Blend Washington red and Canoe Ridge merlot; Archstone cabernet sauvignon, a Californian version of the popular grape varietal; and Juniper Canyon chardonnay, a white grown-up juice bursting with Golden State flavors.
- Washington's largest and most complete wine and spirits retailer and importer has been in business 20 years. It's also well known for its delicatessen and first-rate cheese shop. – Washington Post
- When I eventually move away from DC, Calvert Woodley will be one of those few stores that I will truly miss. This is such a special shop. From the delicious deli meats, salads, and cheeses to the incredible wine and liquor selection, this store has almost everything you need for a party. The best part though is that the prices are the best I've found in the area. – Sara D., Insider Pages
- The wine selection is also outstanding, and staff is highly knowledgeable about wine-food pairings. I've always been pleased with their recommendations. You can find wines from all around the world here (Argentina, France, Spain, Italy, etc.) and a great selection of domestic wines(especially California and Oregon) as well. The best thing about wine at C-W is that there's something for everyone. – Lola, Urbanspoon