Today’s Groupon will open your heart to acceptance and education with a wine class for two at Cellar Rat Wine Merchants for $40. You and a friend can learn tannins and grape genealogy at KMBC.com's 2009 Best Wine Shop in the Kansas City area.
Taught only by certified and well-mannered wine connoisseurs dressed in rat costumes, Cellar Rat Wine offers five wine classes to enhance your random quip of wine-poeticism when drinking wine in the company of listening people. Choose one of these classes or buy additional Groupons to attend multiple classes:
- Wine Essentials: A crash course in wine, teaching the five S’s of tasting exploring nine different wines. You will learn the stories of the classic grapes that traveled to your cup.
- Sensory Evaluation Workshop: Acquaint your palate with six wines and 48 common wine aromas and flavors. Learn how to truly describe through words and pictograph your flavorful and aromatic experiences with wine.
- Old World vs. New World: Taste 12 wines that traverse the globe and time from the European Old World to Australia’s and the America’s New World twists. See how cabernet sauvignon, sauvignon blanc and other wines differ from one region to the next.
- $10 vs. $100: Like an exciting quiz show, blindly taste seven wines ranging in price from $10 to $100 to see who’s charging too much and who’s asking too little.
- Blind Tasting 101: Bypass the prejudices of labeling and categorizing your wines. Take a sightless sip and truly explore the flavors and textures from the ground-up to cultivate your wine-sense.
Today’s Groupon has no purchase limit so you can combine forces with a friend to attend one class, two classes, or take part in the entire curriculum. New calendars for upcoming months are posted on a monthly basis. Wine will follow and haunt you at all fancy events and Grouponicus gatherings. Now you can surpass the merlot mumblings of your boss and blow away Aunt Mildred from Tallahassee with your refined taste and wine vocabulary.
- I've be going to Cellar Rat for several years. They have a wide selection of wine tastings, a wine club & knowledgeable staff. Some of the wine of the week and other specials are tough to beat. – Dustin J., Yelp
- SURPRISE! I actually liked all 3 of the wines I sampled. They didn't skimp on our party either. I think I saw a few people buzzed. The woman who was representing Cellar Rat was very friendly and bubbly and down to earth. Not your typical wine Nazi snob. – David A., Yelp
Cellar Rat Wine Merchants
Each of the wines on the shelf in Cellar Rat has been vetted by the staff—nothing is sold to the public unless the staff would drink it or use it as a substitute for milk in cereal. The resulting more than 800 wines, 70% of which are less than $20, make for tasty everyday and special-occasion beverages, as do the number of premium spirits and handcrafted brews stocked alongside the wine.
Cellar Rat’s vino experts do more than just discern the difference between good and bad wine; they also teach others how to do so during wine classes that delve into the intricacies of tasting. They even make pairing suggestions for the artisan cheeses, gourmet cured meats, and pate also sold in the boutique shop.