History museums instill wonder in children who have become bored with their own closets full of skeletons. Discover a body of knowledge with this Groupon.
Choose from Three Options
- $20 for individual membership (a $40 value)
- $24 for individual plus guest membership (a $50 value)
- $28 for family or grandparent membership, valid for two adults and two household children or grandchildren under 18 years old (a $60 value)<p>
All memberships include:
- Free annual admission to the museum and its historic houses
- Free or discounted admission and priority registration for special programming and children’s classes
- Invitations to exhibition openings and receptions
- 10% discount at The Museum Shop<p>
When the Charleston Museum was founded in 1773, South Carolina was still a British colony. Today, the museum is itself a historical gem, surviving both the American Revolution and Civil War and acquiring an astounding collection of South Carolinian artifacts along the way. Nine permanent exhibits include the Armory, brimming with antique weaponry, and the Lowcountry History Hall, which chronicles the land's metamorphosis from a tribal society into an agricultural empire, telling the story with early trading goods, slave badges, and pottery. Temporary exhibits change regularly, keeping visitors on their toes in the same way changing cell phone numbers every 24 hours does.
The museum extends its history-preserving mission to two area homes: the 19th-century Joseph Manigault House, once home to a wealthy rice plantation owner, and the Heyward-Washington House, where George Washington once stayed during a weeklong visit to the city. Restored rooms, period pieces, and loudly snoring grandfather clocks await guests during scheduled tours.
Mazyck - Wraggborough
360 Meeting St.
Charleston, South Carolina 29403Get Directions