Legendary entertainers Kenan and Kel made theatrical history when they broke down the fourth wall, and then, to the consternation of the set designer, broke down the second and third walls as well. Experience the magic of the stage with today's Groupon: for $17, you get one admission to Charleston Stage's production of Helium at the historic Dock Street Theatre on Church Street (up to a $38 value). Choose from the following dates:
- Friday, March 11 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 12 at 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, March 13 at 3:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 17 at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, March 18 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 19 at 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, March 20 at 3:00 p.m.
Helium illuminates the story of Miss Molly, a former chemistry teacher now in the throes of dementia who sets off on imagined adventures much to the chagrin of her worried family members. The production portrays poignant glimpses into aging and the multifaceted human mind, bringing humor to a subject often rife with sadness. The narrative unfolds at the venerable Dock Street Theatre, which fetes play enthusiasts with a plethora of staged tales. The newly renovated playhouse features high-quality lighting and sound, comfy seats, and new-fangled heating and air-conditioning while maintaining its nostalgic allure and secret portals to the 1736 production of Rent.
This Groupon is not valid for premium seating.
Though this year's production of Helium has yet to receive many online reviews, the Dock Street Theatre has been featured in the New York Times and the Charleston City Paper for its recent renovations:
- In any case, the acoustics seemed ideally live and vibrant, and unburdened by extraneous noise during the chamber concert, and the hall looked, if anything, cleaner and warmer. It’s a joy to have it back. – James R. Oestreich, New York Times
135 Church St.
Charleston, South Carolina 29401Get Directions