Though less devastating than banana-cream pies, cupcakes still provide effective suppressive fire during fancy-dinner-party food fights attended by Larry, Curly, and/or Moe. Lock and load smile-inducing ammunition with today’s Groupon: for $30, you get a Cupcake Decorating 101 class at Charm City Cupcakes' Johns Hopkins location (a $60 value). Cupcake Decorating 101 classes are held on select Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays; additional classes will be continually added through January. The following summer dates are available:
• Thursday, June 23 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• Thursday, July 7 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• Saturday, July 16 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Thursday, July 21 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• Saturday, July 30 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Saturday, August 6 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Thursday, August 11 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• Saturday, August 20 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
The skilled pastry chefs at Charm City Cupcakes slather apprentices with knowledge on artistically adorning baked goods in the Cupcake Decorating 101 class. Prebaked chocolate and vanilla cupcakes, all of which follow fine-tuned recipes of the freshest ingredients, careful mixing, and the giggles of hundreds of babies, become edible canvases for frosting fanciers. During the class, students crack the code of mouthwatering buttercream icing and absorb confidential stratagems for creating cupcake borders and icing flowers, allowing tiny cakes to stylishly comply with standard "no shirt, no service" policies. Embellishment laureates ultimately fashion a half-dozen ornamented treats with which to pay bus fare or complement a half-gallon of milk on the way home.
Decorating kits are required; students may either manifest their own or buy them during class for $6.