What You'll Get
Buy here for Sunday, 9/27 event. Click here to buy tickets for Saturday, 9/26 event.
Today's Groupon deliciously dances with Chicago's most twinkle-toed chefs in the arms of Millennium Park. Chicago Gourmet is a world-class celebration of food and wine that takes place in Millennium Park from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 26, and from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, September 27. This Groupon gets you a single-day, general-admission ticket—that means access to food tastings, live cooking demonstrations, wine tastings, and seminars (click here to see the schedule for each day).
Chicago Gourmet has more food than any other city's comparable food bonanza, according to the Chicago Tribune, and the organizers promise twice as much to taste this year. More than 50 chefs, 300 winemakers, 65 spirits providers, and 13 cartographers will be at Chicago Gourmet. Gourmet pavilions on the great lawn will feature multiple chefs preparing Asian, French, Latin, regional American, Mediterranean, seafood, and gastropub tastings. Eat some dessert and cheese, and stop by the organic gourmet tent that will feature Southern Wine and Spirits and a silent auction benefiting the Green City Market.
A second culinary stage will show intimate cooking demonstrations. If you've ever toothed on an exquisite prawn and thought, how do they do it? this is your chance to break into Chicago's secret, sugar-stalactited restaurant grottos and find out. Watch culinary masterminds such as Ted Allen (Top Chef and Chopped), Rick Bayless (Mexico–One Plate at a Time), Rahman "Rock" Harper (winner of season three of Hell's Kitchen), Stephanie Izard (winner of the season four of Top Chef), Bradron Karcellis (Cakes Versus Steaks and So, You Think You Can Bagel?), Marcus Samuelsson (Inner Chef, Urban Cuisine, Iron Chef America), and Fabio Viviani (Top Chef) prepare the foodstuffs of dreams, live and in-person.
Tasting pavilions are bursting with jaw-dropping mouth items from Paul Virant of Vie, Takashi Yagihashi of Takashi, Paul Kahan of Blackbird, Koren Grieveson of Avec, and more; click here to see the complete list of chefs, sommeliers, and speakers. For an additional $175, you can upgrade this Groupon to a Grand Cru ticket, and sip fermented grapes from fine graperies such as Laurent Perrier, Moet Hennessy, and Far Niente in 90-minute wine tastings curated by the nation's top sommeliers.
The Chicago Tribune's_ food critic says this year's food celebration is the best of the batch:
- The Chicago Gourmet fest will return for a second year in September, featuring more food, more participating chefs -- frankly, more of everything...Two things distinguish Chicago Gourmet from counterparts in other cities. It relies on homegrown talent, rather than Chefs Seen On TV, and there's far more food to eat. In its inaugural year, Chicago Gourmet featured more food than any comparable festival; this year, organizers promise double the amount of food sampling. – Phil Vettel, the Chicago Tribune
Click here to see the burgeoning Yelp discussion of the event.
This year’s roster of celebrity chefs from the realm of reality and non-fiction TV exemplifies the skyrocketing popularity of reality cooking shows. Unfortunately, the following guests were unable to attend due to previous engagements or illnesses, but you can always check out their hit programs:
- Professor Jacob Gastrelli, host of How To Eat…
- Jennifer Alabaster, host and author of Murder Your Husband With Meat!
- The Tummy Twins, Herb and Dinger, stars of Cross Country Eats with the Tummy Twins, Featuring The Tummy Twins Trouble Trailer
- Shakes “Brainpan” Browley, fourth place on Crouton Island
- Spring Break Cake, head anchor of NBC Nightly News
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Sep 27, 2009. Amount paid never expires. No purchase limit. Groupon expires date of event. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.