What You'll Get
Because it's buried under a thick canopy of mustard, onion, sweet-pickle relish, a dill-pickle spear, tomato slices, pickled peppers, celery salt—and notably lacking in ketchup—a Chicago-style hot dog can be difficult to identify. Learn its distinguishing characteristics with today’s Groupon. For $10, you get $25 worth of Windy City sandwich-joint grub at the Chicago Hamburger Company.
Slinging sandwiches and burger-joint grub since 1975, and replacing its "th" sounds with ds since 1969, the Chicago Hamburger Company offers an authentic taste of the Second City without an inconvenient dose of somber weather or political corruption. The menu lets you sample famous bites such as a Vienna hot dog with fries or coleslaw ($4.25), a cuddly Windy City slider ($0.92), a tongue-tingling Italian beef ($5.75), or a tag-teaming beef and sausage combo sandwich ($6.95) that will suplex your taste buds into submission. To avoid getting the stink-eye when you ask for ketchup, opt for a char-broiled 1/3-pound cheddar burger ($4.75) and wash it down with a tasty old-fashioned milk shake that will quell the cow-caused fire burning in your belly-engine.
In addition to the finger-licking, blue-collar fare, patrons will find walls lined with Chicago sports photos and memorabilia such as Dick Butkus trapped inside a giant glass jar. The Chicago Hamburger Company is a family-friendly spot housing arcade games and TVs trained from a young age to automatically turn on sports games.
A sandwich is like a moisturizing facial mask—just because it contains avocado and is low-fat doesn’t mean it’s a good lunchtime option. Instead, head over to the Chicago Hamburger Company, where hearty fare prompts stomachs to vote early and often—effectively ousting the brain from its position as the body's mayor.
This Groupon is not valid toward the Chicago Hamburger Company's daily specials.
- …it's the burger the restaurant does best. Sized at roughly 3 inches by 3 inches, the mini-burgers are topped with chopped, grilled onion, pickle slices, American cheese, ketchup and brown mustard on a soft white bun. Don't let the size fool you -- you'll fill up fast...The best choice is the double slider, with enough nicely grilled meat to tackle the bun...I'd make the trip to Chicago just for its French fries, though. These are magnificent models of potato, piping hot, skinless, generously salted and crisp-edged. – Carey Sweet, Phoenix New Times
- You can't go wrong at this neighborhood mainstay, which can get pretty packed at the lunch hour. The big item on the menu is a tiny one: Windy City Sliders, tasty 3-inch-wide hamburgers with cheese and onions. Save some room for dessert. A large milkshake or root-beer float makes a perfect closer to any meal. – Arizona Republic
- Order them [sliders] by the sack. Whenever I get a taste for a belly bomber I head to this joint. They are very tasty little burgers and their fries are good too. – Jim B., Yelp
- Inside is all sorts of kitschy and fun...Despite all the craziness that goes on inside, they are wicked efficient in clearing the ordering line...My burger was delicious and soooooo juicy...I was a happy hamburger eatin [sic] girl indeed. – Bri D., Yelp
- …this joint is the real thing...Fries and rings are good, But I love those chili dogs. I just have to say it again..I love those chili dogs! – The food avenger, Urbanspoon
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Sep 18, 2010. Amount paid never expires. Limit 2 per person, 1 per visit. Limit 1 per 2 people at table. Dine-in or carry-out only. Not valid with other offers. Redeemable starting 3/17/2010. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.