All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Choose Between Two Options
- C$54.50 for 10 hot or regular yoga classes (C$175 value)
- C$51 for one month of unlimited hot or regular yoga classes (C$169 value)
Three Things to Know About Yoga
Few fitness disciplines meld relaxation and strength-building like yoga. Read on to learn about its surprising origins and incredible diversity.
1. In Sanskrit, yoga means “union.” (The word shares a root with the English word “yoke.”) The things being united are the mind, body, and breath, as practitioners use motion to guide the thoughts toward peaceful awareness and away from the funny-looking dog walking past the studio window.
2. Historically, strength and flexibility were probably just side benefits. In fact, some of the first Indian yogis to arrive to the U.S. explicitly rejected asanas, or postures, as a distraction from meditation. Recent research by yogi and scholar Mark Singleton indicates that, starting in the 1920s, a Scandinavian fitness system known as Primitive Gymnastics became wildly popular in India, and began to meld with far older yoga traditions that were more concerned with breath and focus. Around the same time, other teachers in India traveled the country teaching strengthening and combat techniques under the guise of yoga, in the hopes of preparing to rise against British rule. This complex stew of influences eventually produced the blend of movement and meditation most Westerners recognize as yoga today.
3. Today an estimated 20–30 million North Americans practice yoga. What that looks like in practice is wildly diverse—everything from sweaty, tolerance-testing hot yoga to quick-flowing vinyasa yoga to “laughter yoga,” which combines yogic breathing with deliberate laughter to ease stress. One of yoga’s greatest virtues is its adaptability: props make classes accessible to older students, and prenatal classes teach pregnant women poses that take into account their extra-stretchy ligaments and tendency toward lower-back pain.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires 120 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Not valid until 11/06/2016. Must activate by expiration date on voucher; 10 class pass expires 60 days from activation date. Must be 13 years or older for hot-yoga classes. Waiver must be signed by guardian for participants younger than 18. Does not include aerial or kids' classes, or specialized workshops. Offer not valid for buti yoga. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift(s). New customers only. Valid only for option purchased. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.