All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Despite the use of trapeze arts in entertainment, the contraption was originally conceived as a way to speed up postal delivery by enabling mailmen to traverse from tree to tree. Witness the recreational variation of this repurposed apparatus with today's deal: for $47, you get one 200-level ticket to see Cirque du Soleil's Alegría at the Santa Ana Star Center (a $70 value). Purchase a ticket to one of the following performances:
- Wednesday, June 9, at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, June 11, at 3:30 p.m.
Fly solo to witness the aerial-circus feats, or buy multiple Groupons and sit with friends, loved ones, or casual acquaintances. If you do want to sit with a group, you must buy all of your Groupons in the same transaction. Seating is first-buy, first-served.
Alegría, which is Spanish for "jubilation," is a classic Cirque du Soleil performance that's recently begun touring the arena circuit, utilizing the cavernous spaces to embellish the high-flying antics that made the show a hit in the first place. Although the big top is gone, the circus spirit remains in the form of clownism, trapeze routines that frequently transform the artists into motion blurs, trampoline tumbling, and contortionists, just to name a few. Feel as vibrant and alive as Lydia the Tattooed Lady while watching 55 masterful performers from 15 countries flip, flop, bend, and undulate 40 feet above the earth in intricate, glittering costumes, all set to evocative, Grammy-nominated music.
A Cirque du Soleil performance is an ideal outing for a family, an invigorating conversation piece for an awkward first date, and an inspirational tableau for neglected, tree-deprived gibbons. Although Alegría does not have a concrete narrative, the breathtaking physical displays present a number of themes, including the trickle of power from generation to generation, a sense of youth, and the pulse of fresh-baked life. Characters from kings and beggars to fools and aristocrats are set against this Pollock-esque backdrop of ideas, navigated by clowns operating outside the passage of time and the social mores that come with earth-bound hours.
The Alegría soundtrack spent 63 weeks on the Billboard World Music Chart in 1994, peaking at No. 2. The re-staged show received 3.5 stars from the Chicago Theater Blog and high-flying praise from the Lincoln Journal Star and the Hartford Courant Behind the Curtain blog. 88% of more than 3,000 Ticketmasters recommend Alegría and give the show an average of 4.3 stars:
- Tumblers, singers, contortionists and clowns race around the stage. Trapeze artists fly into the arena rafters and flip on high bars before plunging into nets below. Cirque du Soleil's "Alegria" is in town, and it's as amazingly breathtaking as advertised. – L. Kent Wolgamott, Lincoln Journal Star
- …a big part of this show’s power is in its music. Réné Dupéré’s original score rings with majesty and mystery, with multilingual lyrics that add to the exotic flavor of the show. – Leah A. Zeldes, Chicago Theater Blog
- We loved every minute of it. Such talanted [sic] individuals.. We loved the audience interaction, without a spoken word between the actors & the audiance [sic] member. – peilers, Ticketmaster
The Fine Print
Expiration varies. Amount paid never expires. Group seating must buy together in 1 purchase. Valid for date and time purchased only. Not for resale. Seating is first-buy, first-served. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.