All aspiring Bob Vilas know that home renovation is difficult without a Hammer of Ruin and 30 kilometers of duct tape. Today’s Groupon gets you $10 for $20 worth of products from City Hardware. Build a new tree house, a guest room, or a life-size replica of Thunderdome. Locally owned and operated by Marc Gimbel in the South Lake Union area, City Hardware is a neighborhood hardware store with an extensive selection, including products from Benjamin Moore Paints and Míele vacuums.
Whether your home needs an extreme makeover or a coat of bulletproof paint, the more than 65,000 items available at City Hardware should cover it. In addition to the standard light bulbs, key cutting, and water-saving toilet-flushers, you can utilize the paint-matching service or take up canning for those long winter nights when store-bought jam just isn't canned well enough.
City Hardware’s concern for the environment is a refreshing change of pace. More than 75 products are Green Zone, which means they're marked as environmentally safe, and if you accidentally leave your canvas tote bag at home, City Hardware provides 100% biodegradable plastic bags to transport your items then bury in the ground to grow your own plastic vines.
Not only does City Hardware provide you hand tools for your home-improvement needs, they give you brain tools as well. Marc and employees will field customer questions and offer helpful tips on projects. And if you want to bring your furry friends along, they may find a new play pal in Marc’s chocolate lab, Bear.
- Marc Gimbel and his staff at City Hardware are on the top of my list of great community resources. If you havent yet visited this neighborhood store down on Harrison & 9th, do so soon. Trust Marc to come up with a great solution for your project! – SmartsyArtsy S., Insider Pages
- I'm a hardware store nut, and this place is great. It reminds me of the old-style hardware stores - small compared to the big boxes but with lots of stuff. The employees are super friendly and always help me find exactly what I'm looking for fast. – podcaster, Citysearch
- Marc and one of his employees…have helped me work through a variety of problems that arose while installing and plumbing an in-sink dishwasher and hanging a cast-iron gate on my new fence. They suggested solutions that worked better (and in one key instance, cheaper) than the ones I had originally devised – hcanwell, Citysearch
Popular Colors for Popular Rooms
The paint-matching service at City Hardware can create paint to match any color you can think of, and the more specific you can be, the better. Here are some popular real-world colors to spruce up any room:
- Clown-in-the Rain Off-White
- The-Sky-from-that-One-Day-When-Things-Went-OK Blue
- My-Garage-Will-Be-the-Same-Red-as-My-Neighbor’s-Garage Red
- Excruciating-Camping-Weekend-With-“Dad” Forest Green
- Color-My-Stomach-Feels-on-Phone-With-Daphne-Brown Purple
- No-It’s-Not-Pink-It’s-Light-Red Pink
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.