Soak up the sights and hear the history surrounding Boston's Harbor Islands on this two-hour narrated cruise aboard an intimate '20s-style mini-yacht dubbed the Beacon. The knowledgeable crew will fill you on fascinating facts as you float by Fort Independence and Fort Warren, Spectacle Island, Long Island, Lovell's Island and many others, pointing out notable lighthouses, shipwreck sites, a mysterious sunken island and more. Enjoy it all from the open bow, back deck, or shaded mid-deck. Beer, wine and sparkling wine are available for purchase on board, while soda and water are included in the ticket price.
Highlights on this 2-hour cruise:
- A pass by Fort Independence, taking in views of Boston’s Seaport District along the way.
- See Spectacle Island and hear how she has been transformed from Ice Age to the Big Dig of Boston.
- Cruise by Long Island and see Long Island Head Light, a decommissioned lighthouse, but one of our nation’s first cast iron lighthouses.
- Check out the mysterious sunken island known as Nixes Mate.
- Also, on this two-hour cruise, you’ll see Fort Warren on George’s Island and hear about the mysterious woman in black.
- Other islands that will be seen on this trip are: Lovell’s Island that is famous for many shipwrecks, Gallops Island, Deer Island where Boston’s water treatment facility is stationed, and Rainsford Island.
- In the distance, you may be able to see Graves Lighthouse and Boston Light, the oldest lighthouse in America.
Alcoholic beverages (beer, wine and sparkling wine) are available for purchase ($5), while soda and water are complimentary. You may bring food aboard, please consider bringing a small packed picnic with you.
Wear comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing. We recommend light layers and flat shoes.
The Beacon is not ADA-compliant.