Clay pots and humans are more alike than most think—they both have ancient origins and are generally stuffed with entire batches of cookies. Craft your own treat saver with today’s Groupon for BYOB pottery-painting classes at Clayote Gallery & Studio in Boyertown (a $30 value). Choose from the following options:
- For $30, you get a two-hour “wheel 'n' wine” pottery session for two (up to a $60 value).
- For $58, you get a two-hour “wheel 'n' wine” pottery session for four (up to a $120 value).
- For $86, you get a two-hour “wheel 'n' wine” pottery session for six (up to a $180 value).
- For $110, you get a two-hour “wheel 'n' wine” pottery session for eight (up to a $240 value).
- For $132, you get a two-hour “wheel 'n' wine” pottery session for ten (up to a $300 value).
During these cheery two-hour events, spinners mold clay under the watchful tutelage of Clayote Gallery & Studio’s art-oriented instructors. Sculptors bend 1.5 pounds of skin-soothing clay as it spins furiously on a pottery wheel, metamorphosing into a decorative bowl, elegant pitcher, or impossibly symmetrical George Washington bust. While slinging mud into polished shapes, guests are invited to contribute to and partake in a BYOB potluck with their fellow earth handlers.
Once the raw vessel is fully formed, it is entrusted to the gallery's experienced potters to receive a colorful coating of glaze. A fusion of shiny luster and crackle finish, the glaze reacts with short doses of intense heat to produce unique metallic finishes and an endearingly short temper. The original crafters return two to three weeks later to pick up their ready-to-use, shiny pottery.
1 E Philadelphia Ave.
Boyertown, Pennsylvania 19512