Science is more than just a class you had to take in high school; it’s also what the people who taught those classes do in their free time. Enrich yourself with this Groupon.
Choose Between Two Options
$25 for one annual family membership (a $50 value)
- Unlimited free admission for two adults and all children younger than 19
- Subscription to museum email newsletter
- 10% discount at the Museum Gift Shop
- Half off admission to the Western North Carolina Nature Center
- Discounts on programs
- Free admission to more than 280 science and technology centers around the world
$50 for one annual patron membership (a $100 value)
- All benefits included in the family membership
- Free admission to 55 museums in the Southeast
Colburn Earth Science Museum
Display cases filled with diamonds, rubies, sapphires, and emeralds are a treat for the eyes at any jeweler's, but at Colburn Earth Science Museum, they dazzle visitors intellectually as well. More than 1,000 cuts from around the world make up the museum's extensive gemstone collection, which guests learn about via a gem-mine replica featuring a faux dynamite charge and gem pockets. The museum's additional exhibits showcase mineral specimens from the museum's collection of more than 4,500, as well as fossil specimens including teeth from a wooly mammoth complete with calcified floss.
Guests can take a more hands-on approach to scientific discovery during the museum's school programs and spring-break camps, which focus on subjects such as fossils, gravity, and space rocks. Voyage deeper into the galaxy during Spaced-Out Saturdays, when a digital spaceship whisks passengers on journeys throughout the solar system. After expeditions, stop by the Museum Gift Shop to pick up your own minerals or crystal-filled, 44-million-year-old geodes that museum staff can crack in half for you during your visit.