Human beings are the only animals that possess the ability to laugh, cry, beat every level of Pac-Man, and turn anything into a type of cake. Everything from carrots to birthday has been cake-ified thanks to humanity’s technological advances. Cheese is no exception. Today’s Groupon gets you a whole slice of this unlikely culinary marriage for half price. For $2, you get any slice of cheesecake from Columbus Cheesecake Company, a $4 value. This Grandview Heights operation has been cranking out the cakes since 2003 and recording Grammy-nominated albums since 1998.
Fed up with the lack of fresh cheesecakes in, around, and 300 feet below Columbus, David Kilpatrick felt the uncontrollable urge to introduce central Ohio to what they’ve been missing. It seems to have worked. People are known to visit from far and wide, appearing on the company’s doorstep without any recollection of how they got there, knowing only that they require cheesecake. The irresistibility of this fabled dessert stems from a philosophy that places a heavy emphasis on the two main ingredients—cheese and cake—rather than distracting with gobs of fancy candies and exuberant toppings in a process known to insiders as “sugar coating” or "adding gobs of fancy candies and exuberant toppings."
These cheesecakes need nothing to hide behind. Any supplementary ingredients are subtle additions, complementing the creamy yet fluffy dessert instead of debasing it. In addition to keeping it simple, the company keeps it fresh by staying up on the latest trends in European synthpop and by never freezing one of its delectable creations.
There are four flavors of cheesecake that the store generally always has on hand and platter: old fashioned, turtle, peanut-butter chocolate, and chocolate marble. In addition to the fantastic four, there are usually a few specialty flavors in the case. Which ones depend on the day you decide to head in to exchange your Groupon. Alternate flavors include almond amaretto, pumpkin, key lime, and chocolate.
- I don't eat cheesecake and this was the best I've ever tasted!!!! I purchased a couple cheesecakes for my boyfriend's birthday and from now on this is the only place I'm going! – Christy, Yahoo! Local
- Stumbled across this place a few years ago when randomly looking for the Post Office in Grandview. My friends and I wandered in and - in our hearts and minds - never wandered out. – Eric A., Yelp
- The flavors he chooses are meant to compliment the cheesecake, not dominate it. And from what I can taste, he does just that! – Heather A., Yelp
Giving Central Ohio What It Needs
Similar to David Kilpatrick's uncontrollable urge to fill central Ohio's cheesecake void, Gabriel Moonbuns has experienced numerous bouts of blinding rage upon recognizing other central Ohio voids that need filling. For the past 12 years, Moonbuns has taken care any emptiness in the central Ohio landscape by introducing countless items to it, including:
- topographic maps of Southeast Asia
- giant redwoods
- the Super Bowl rings of every member of the 1987 Washington Redskins
- rewritable CDs made out of lead
- tunnel that leads to a rubber factory in Bethesda, Maryland
- machine that makes stuffed animals out of old medicine containers
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
1413 Grandview Ave
Columbus, Ohio 43212Get Directions