In this 8 session introductory wax working class, you will learn to complete designs utilizing different wax carving and forming techniques.
What You'll Get
In this 8 session introductory wax working class, you will learn to complete designs utilizing different wax carving and forming techniques. You will start by designing and carving a ring in hard wax while learning to use files, burs, and carving tools for subtractive sculpting. Further projects will introduce soft wire and sheet wax, modeling methods, joining, and hot tools. After having your designs cast in metal, you will be introduced to metal finishing skills including casting clean-up and patina.
This course is open to beginning students. Introductory jewelry techniques will be taught.
Metal casting for this class is outsourced and will be the responsibility of the student.
Tools & Supplies:
- Purple wax ring tube (flat top, large size)
- Purple wax slices/blocks/bars (choose a couple pieces to start with)
- Pink Sheet wax 16-26 gauge (assorted sizes)
- Spiral wax saw blades (pack of 12)
- Metal saw blades 2/0 (pack of 12)
- Stainless steel wax carving tools (set of 6, economy)
- Double end wax file 8” (Grobet)
- Friedrich Dick 6-piece wood-handle key file set, German Cut #2 (riogrande.com)
- Half-round needle file – 4 or 5 fine cut
- Wax pen low temp. (battery operated)
- Wax burs (1-2 different shapes, course)
- Split mandrel
- 6” steel ruler
- Fine-point Sharpie
- Tooth brush (for cleaning wax files)
- 320 wet/dry sandpaper (1 sheet)
- 600 wet/dry sandpaper (1 sheet)
- 1000 wet/dry sandpaper (1 sheet)
Class Starting Thursday, January 23
- Thursday, January 23, 6:30PM- 9:30PM
- Thursday, January 30, 6:30PM- 9:30PM
- Thursday, February 06, 6:30PM- 9:30PM
- Thursday, February 13, 6:30PM- 9:30PM
- Thursday, February 20, 6:30PM- 9:30PM
- Thursday, February 27, 6:30PM- 9:30PM
- Thursday, March 05, 6:30PM- 9:30PM
- Thursday, March 12, 6:30PM- 9:30PM
The class identified is made available through CourseHorse, a 3rd party marketplace for Wax Carving classes and more. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the merchant, Brooklyn Metal Works, in connection with this offer. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to CourseHorse will be directed back to Groupon.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Mar 12, 2020.