Carving wax is a wonderful technique for creating jewelry. Intricate details can be created in wax that you can’t achieve in metal. We use
What You'll Get
Carving wax is a wonderful technique for creating jewelry. Intricate details can be created in wax that you can’t achieve in metal. We use special jeweler’s wax to make what are essentially mini-sculptures, using additive and / or subtractive techniques. This means either building up wax, or carving and filing away at it to reveal a design. Wax is extremely forgiving & versatile and can be used to make rings, pendants, bracelets, earrings or any other small object.
We will discuss the different options for making molds to create multiples of your pieces. Rich textural surfaces and fluid, curving shapes can be created in wax material that can then be cast into a variety of metals to create a finished product. This class will explore a wide range of sculptural shapes, surface textures, and hollow forms. Wax carving techniques using both hand tools and the flex shaft will be introduced for carving small objects and jewelry.
We will create two projects in this class – a ring and a pendant. Students are encouraged to explore the wax as a medium as well as be challenged as designers by the instructor. Basic knowledge of the casting process will be covered – during the course students will have the opportunity to have cast at least one of their pieces in metal, and learn how to bring the cast piece to a desired finish.
Important Things to Note:
- We include a tour of the jewelry district and a complete list of trade references and supplier resources to provide the new student with a full introduction to the jewelry industry.
- Small class sizes are perfect for both beginners or those looking to refresh their wax carving skills.
- You don’t need any jewelry knowledge to take this class, absolute beginners welcome.
Q: Can I make up a class if I miss one?
A: Yes. They provide makeup sessions on Monday evenings from 6-9pm, or can also arrange a makeup session at another time if needed.
Q: Can I take home what I make in this class?
Q: Is this class hands on?
Q: Are materials included in the cost of the class?
A: Yes, wax materials included. Detailed tool list will be sent after registration.
Class Starting Tuesday, September 10
- Tuesday, September 10, 6:00PM- 9:00PM
- Tuesday, September 17, 6:00PM- 9:00PM
- Tuesday, September 24, 6:00PM- 9:00PM
- Tuesday, October 01, 6:00PM- 9:00PM
- Tuesday, October 08, 6:00PM- 9:00PM
- Tuesday, October 15, 6:00PM- 9:00PM
Class Starting Wednesday, October 30
- Wednesday, October 30, 6:00PM- 9:00PM
- Wednesday, November 06, 6:00PM- 9:00PM
- Wednesday, November 13, 6:00PM- 9:00PM
- Wednesday, November 20, 6:00PM- 9:00PM
- Wednesday, December 04, 6:00PM- 9:00PM
- Wednesday, December 11, 6:00PM- 9:00PM
The class identified is made available through CourseHorse, a 3rd party marketplace for Wax Carving classes and more. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the merchant, Liloveve, in connection with this offer. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to CourseHorse will be directed back to Groupon.
The Fine Print