This workshop is designed to introduce therapists to the central principles of improv and how improv can inform the therapeutic process and.
What You'll Get
This workshop is designed to introduce therapists to the central principles of improv and how improv can inform the therapeutic process and relationship. Through group improvisation we will explore how therapeutic improv is an approach that helps clients practice taking risks and following creative impulses to achieve personal goals—all in a safe, nurturing and often fun environment.
It's not about being funny. It's about being free, playful, and open.
Improv skills of spontaneity, co-creation, mindfulness, moment to moment listening and responsiveness, and taking risks to help yourself and others are all essential aspects of a therapeutic relationship and healthy lifestyle. Learn how therapeutic improv can be a valuable tool to help yourself and your clients:
- feel more creative and less stuck
- connect to others and get feedback
- increase problem solving and spontaneity
- strengthen assertiveness and voice
- find an expanded sense of positive self
- be aware of and play with the inner critic to find playful balance in life
A description of the teaching methods to be used:
- Lecture and discussion to introduce improv principles and their connection to the therapeutic process.
- Experiential activities and small group performance to demonstrate and apply theoretical learning.
- Video and film viewing and discussion.
- Class discussion of activities to apply learning and compare and identify ways of incorporating techniques into real life clinical situations across varied settings.
The learning objectives of the course. Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the possibilities and limitations for the use of dramatic arts in therapy for mental health professionals who are not licensed as creative arts therapists and identify pathways to further training.
- Describe the concept of "yes, and" and other improv principles and how they can be used to meet treatment goals
- Identify ways to work with and through resistance and fear, as well as make offers for more playful and improvisational interventions to occur in the therapy space.
- Identify three improvisational techniques that can be used safely in your current clinical practice and setting.
The class identified is made available through CourseHorse, a 3rd party marketplace for Improv classes and more. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the merchant, NY Creative Arts Therapists, in connection with this offer. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to CourseHorse will be directed back to Groupon.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Aug 25, 2019.