You don't need a time machine to try Old Town’s famous 125-year-old jelly cake. Today's Groupon—$25 for a DC Metro Food Tour—gets you gobbling jelly pastry and other local specialties on an edible voyage through Eastern Market (a $41 value). This is not an ordinary grub hopscotch tour with undesirably quick stops: over the course of a 90-minute tour, food-fiends and spend 15 to 20 minutes savoring specially designed dishes at four to five restaurants.
Food includes neighborhood favorites and ethnic dishes that reflect the area's history and population. When DC Metro's guides aren't stuffing you with ”bluebuck” pancakes and homemade black angus roast beef, they're sharing bits of local history, culture, architecture lore, and quotes from Paula Poundstone's 1990 HBO special Cats, Cops and Stuff. Guides say to skip lunch, and you might not need dinner after filling up on DC half-smokes and Spanish iberico ham on the Eastern Market tour. Everyone gets to try Alexandria’s jelly cake. The tour runs Tuesday through Friday, 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.; Sunday, 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- It was a wonderful combination of local food, architecture, and history. – Stacy3355, IgoUgo
- The food was fabulous, and the guide was so friendly. The food portions were perfect at each restaurant, and the timing in between restaurants was spaced out just nicely. And you get to learn a bit of history and see great architecture! I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone!! – purplebears,TripAdvisor
- I went on this tour this past summer and was impressed. Even on a hot day, this was a great way to spend an afternoon. The food was excellent, the walk was pleasant, and the tour guides were knowledgable [sic] and fun. – scottmccl, TripAdvisor
Jelly Cake Reviews Throughout 125-Year History
- That was delicious! If my prayers ever get answered, my stomach will be 3.5 times larger and I'll be able to eat even more jelly cakes in one sitting. Jenga! – Harry S Truman
- Wow wow wow! That's quite some jelly. If there was a doorway that had been rigged to drop a bucket full of something on my head when I walked through, it better be full of that jelly. The cake's pretty good too. – Enrico Fermi
- Two please! – Jackie Robinson