What You Get
- $850 USD for a five-night stay for two in a Caribbean Bungalow room, including daily breakfast, dinner, one yoga class each and a shuttle to and from the beach
Sustainable Caribbean Bungalows Nestled in a Tropical Jungle
Samasati Nature Retreat's developers belong to the anti-development school of thought. Instead of clearing the jungles with heavy machinery to build a glitzy resort, they sought to leave behind the smallest possible environmental footprint. Teams of oxen delivered sustainable building materials such as wood from trees that had fallen naturally. Nine bungalows and two lodges were constructed in a style that maximized ventilation and natural cooling so fewer electrical appliances would be needed. The showers are even fed by rainwater collected in a rooftop reservoir. Thanks to an environmentally savvy master plan, Samasati Nature Retreat's 250 acres of rainforest continue to sustain abundant plant and animal life.
Each private Caribbean Bungalow room comes dressed in polished chocolate wood and overlooks the mountains, the dense jungle, and the impossibly blue waters of the Caribbean. Fresh jungle air and the tweets of passing toucans and bloggers stream through the always-open windows. High in the leafy canopy, chefs at Samasati's restaurant prepare colorful vegetarian meals concocted from fruit and vegetables grown in the resort's personal garden and neighboring plots. Yoga classes are available twice daily, once in the morning and once in the afternoon, with a resident instructor adaptable to all skill levels.
A flat plain of green grass pokes out of the center of the resort, buttoned down by a bubbling hot tub that overlooks the lush Costa Rican countryside. Guests siphon off stress here in the frothing pool, and down the hillside, they can extend their bliss with a massage at the spa.
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica: Home to Pristine Beaches and Colorful Creatures
Sheet-white beaches fringed by coconuts trees lie 4 miles from the wilderness that surrounds the resort. The rich ecological atmosphere plays host to butterflies, swinging monkeys, marsupials, and more than 500 bird species, and the underwater landscape swims with tucuxi dolphins and sea turtles. Samasati Nature Retreat sets up guests with a variety of eco tours to explore Costa Rica's immaculate environs, including trips involving surfing, snorkeling, kayaking, waterfall treks, hiking, and horseback snorkeling.
The town of Puerto Viejo is just a few miles from the resort and plays host to a smorgasbord of Afro-Caribbean flavors. Dotted along its roads are quaint shops and watering holes as well as restaurants that serve authentic Costa Rican dishes, including casado, a medley of rice, beans, plantains, and succulent meat. Calypso and reggae sounds thump in the humid air, and brightly colored houses add vibrancy to the dusty street corners.
How to Book
- Purchase Groupon.
- Call Samasati Nature Retreat.
- Choose a date prior to 2/1/13.
- Mention your Groupon and provide your credit-card info.
- King- or queen-size beds
- Standard occupancy: Two
- Maximum occupancy: Two
- Adding occupants above standard: Not allowed
- Private bathrooms
- Veranda overlooking jungle or sea
- Some rooms feature lofts with separate bedroom and living area
- Check in: 3 p.m.
- Check out: 11 a.m.
- Parking: Free onsite parking
- Rollaways: Not available
- Smoking policy: No smoking inside the property
- Pet policy: Pets are not allowed inside the property.
- Accessibility: Handicap-accessible rooms are available upon request during booking.
- Room upgrades: Not available
What It's Worth
- For $850 USD, a five-night stay for two in a Caribbean Bungalow room, including daily breakfast, dinner, one yoga class each and a shuttle to and from the beach (up to $1,730 USD average value)
- Surfing, hiking, kayaking, and horseback-riding excursions
- Onsite restaurant
- Vegetarian meals made from organic, locally grown ingredients
- Private bungalows with terrace
- Hot tub overlooking the forest and out to the ocean
- Private bathrooms
- Laundry services
- On-site yoga classes, one included
- Promotional value expires Feb 1, 2013. Amount paid never expires.
- Must complete travel by 2/1/13
- Not valid 12/15/12-1/15/13
- Not valid until 2/1/12
- Limit 2 per person, may buy 2 additional as gifts
- Limit 2 per visit
- 2-week cancellation notice or fee up to Groupon price applies
- Subject to availability
- 13% tax not included
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Samasati Nature Retreat
- By plane: About 220 km from San Jose International Airport (SJO)
- By shuttle: $80 USD for semiprivate buses that run from SJO to the resort