With its combination of friction-free motion and wholesome fun, roller skating quickly replaced ditch digging and dancing frenetically to "Shipoopi" as America's favorite first-date activity. Rediscover the appeal of the wheels with this Groupon.
Choose from Three Options
$10 for a roller-skating package for two (a $19.75 total value)
- Admission for two during open-skating hours (a $4 value each)
- Skate rental for two (a $2 value each)
- One bucket of popcorn (a $2.75 value)
- Two large drinks (a $2.50 value each)
$20 for a roller-skating package for four (a $40 total value)
- Admission for four during open-skating hours (a $4 value each)
- Skate rental for four (a $2 value each)
- One slice of pizza with a drink for each person (a $4 value each)
$49 for a Rising Star birthday package for up to 10 kids (a $100 value)
- Admission and skate rental for all children
- 45-minute seating time at a reserved table
- Themed table setting with a party hostess
- Birthday cake and unlimited soda during reserved seating time
- "Happy Birthday" song and PA announcement for the host boy or girl
River Roll Skate Center
Since the age of 7, Skip Clinton has been hypnotized by the whirl of roller skates; among his fondest memories are those of boogying on wheels among hundreds of fellow skaters packed into one rink. Translating his love of the sport into a competitive drive, Skip won the 1986 Roller Figure Skating World Championship in Bogotà, Colombia, cementing his spot in the Roller Skating Hall of Fame. Still, none of that success could fully satisfy his dream of polishing skates in his very own rink.
In 1996, Skip connected with the new owners of River Roll Skate Center and helped restore the long-neglected rink to its modern glory, installing new floors, a jamming sound system, and computer-controlled lights. Three years later, decades of hard work paid off as he and his wife—also a competitive skater—took over River Roll Skate Center's operations full-time.
"There's never a day I don't want to go to work," says Skip with a glee normally reserved for children who get to eat pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dessert. He relishes duties such as keeping the floor immaculate—indeed, the polished arena reflects the ceiling's colored lights like a kaleidoscope—which, in his experience, is crucial to the success of any skate center. While Skip acknowledges that roller skating hasn't changed much over the years, skaters' expectations have. To that end, 35,000 songs populate the rink's computer, from '70s and '80s pop music to family-friendly hip-hop, rock, and country-western hits. Throughout the facility, video screens flash names of birthday celebrants, popular music videos such as Michael Jackson's "Thriller," and classic movies such as Footloose.
Elsewhere, the scent of fresh-baked pizza wafts from the concession stand, where rollers refuel with traditional snacks such as hot dogs or nachos, and an arcade dispenses entertainment and prizes with a variety of video games.
4720 NW Gateway Ave.
Riverside, Missouri 64150