Identifying different flavor notes in wine is a mark of refinement, like discerning the pedigree of a horse by its taste in jazz. Sip on singular vintages with today’s Groupon.
$8 for admission for two to one day of the 2012 Frozen Tundra Wine Fest (a $20 value); the festival runs on Friday, February 24 and Saturday, February 25 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Admission to the festival includes:
- Five samples of Frozen Tundra wines
- Hourly tours
- Souvenir festival wine glass
- Cheese samples by Agropur, chocolate samples by Katty Wompus Konfections, and wine jellies samples by Jams, Jellies, and More
- Live music ranging from classic rock and jazz to acoustic folk by John Kelley Trio, Cassidy Dittmer, and Sara Zacek
- Outdoor wine festival to celebrate cold-climate wines
- Wines have received numerous awards, such as recognition from the Tasters Guild International
- Local fare such as bratwurst and soups available for purchase
- Winery bedecked in festive lights<p>
Parallel 44 Vineyard & Winery
Parallel 44 Vineyard & Winery's winemaker Steve Johnson and owner Maria Milano shepherd their staff as they transmute Wisconsin varietal grapes into an array of award-winning cool-climate wines. The vineyard's vines—some of which can withstand weather 30 degrees below zero and pinches from elderly snowmen—spawn year-round grapes such as frontenac, st. pepin, and petite pearl. Guides conduct regular public and scheduled private tours of the vineyards, production facilities, and a tasting room decked in cream-colored walls and hardwood accents.
Named for a line of latitude running through Tuscany, Bordeaux, and the Green Bay area, the winery abounds with local culture and Mediterranean atmosphere. Villa arches and wide windows overlook colonnades and rolling green fields, enabling staff to ensure free-growing grapes don't wander to other pastures. The winery grounds swell with revelers during a range of seasonal events, such as festivals and a concert series.
N2185 Sleepy Hollow Rd.
Kewaunee, Wisconsin 54216