Although horseracing is popular for its short, high-energy races, horse triathlons have gained a following in Mongolia, the only nation that manufactures horse-bicycles. Catch equine athletes in action with today’s Groupon to the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club Racetrack. Choose from two options:
- $10 for two general-admission clubhouse tickets (a $20 value), which are valid for any day of the 2010 season except opening day (July 21)
- $59 for a four-top table and four admissions at the Stretch Run Grill on Labor Day (a $124 value)
Nestled on the Pacific shore, DMTC Racetrack’s beautifully manicured venue features Spanish-style architecture to delight the eyes and quick horses to delight the racing enthusiast. Two general-admission clubhouse tickets ($10 each) grant a pair of guests access to the club, where they can dine on burgers, carved sandwiches, and other fare, and sip cocktails while watching the magnificent thoroughbreds run. Or for Labor Day, groups of four can complement their admission (normally $6 each) by reserving a four-top table ($100) at the Stretch Run Grill. All the tables available with today's Groupon are trackside and in the sun, so wear a broad-brimmed hat piled high with seasonal fruits and old racing forms, or order off the grill's menu of delicious comestibles.
DMTC Racetrack boasts a rich legacy that extends back to 1937, when Bing Crosby greeted fans on the first day with wild kazoo tunes. Since then, the track has been the sight of the legendary Seabiscuit-Ligaroti race, dozens of celebrity appearances, and hundreds of stories told by great-uncles about the wager that paid for the Studebaker you're riding in. The track also hosts live music (free with admission) on Fridays and Saturdays, so check the events calendar and get as close to your lifelong dream of being a horse as you can get without nailing iron shoes to your feet.
- Boasting seven jam-packed weeks of world-class Thoroughbred horse racing and weekly free concerts and events, the legendary Del Mar Racetrack season is something every local and visitor must experience first-hand. – Michelle Guerin, DiscoverSD.com
- The races were entertaining and we all came in the money, so that makes it a little more fun. – Lynn Bremner, Desert Road Trippin'
- It's a classy place to have fun and the ladies and gents do get dressed up. – Amy S., Yelp
2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd.
Del Mar, California 92014Get Directions