Though it is illegal for pranksters to shout about non-existent fires in a theater, shrieking after an encounter with an underseat gum wad is permissible. Shout about what's on stage instead with today's deal, which scores you a ticket to a holiday production at the Detroit Opera House. Choose from the following options:
- For $43, you get one mezzanine ticket to La Bohème on Friday, November 19, at 7:30 p.m. (an $86 value)
- For $38, you get one box seat ticket to The Nutcracker on Friday, November 26, at 2:30 p.m. (a $76 value)
- For $20, you get one mezzanine ticket to The Nutcracker on Friday, November 26, at 2:30 p.m. or 7:30 p.m., or on Sunday, November 28, at 2:30 p.m. (a $41 value)
As the holidays approach, the Detroit Opera House rings in the season in spectacular fashion with two timeless classics. Puccini's La Bohème captures the bittersweet romance of six idealistic youths struggling to survive in 19th Century Paris. As their worlds are rocked by unbridled passion and epic tragedy, each heart-wrenching Italian lyric will be translated over the stage with English supertitles. The Grand Rapids Ballet, meanwhile, will fill heads with dancing visions of sugar plum fairies with Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker, the joyous Christmas tradition about a brave toy soldier who defends his owner and confectionary kingdom from the advances of the dastardly Mouse King. Behind-the-scenesters will want to arrive an hour before performances for special discussions with singers and dancers, who will offer insights on the impending spectacle and explain the vocal calisthenics and operatic training montages required to prepare for each week's performance.
Sixteen Yelpers give the Detroit Opera House an average of 4.5 stars.
- The beautiful, ornate ceilings and architecture blew me away…All the seats seemed to have an incredible view and, amazingly enough for such an old theatre, tons of leg room. – Ashley P., Yelp
- I went to my first opera show here and it was fantastic. I did not know anything about opera, but I went with some family friends and I was blown away by the acoustics and the beauty of the building. – Lisa W., Yelp