Today's Groupon gets you $15 worth of pastabilities for $5 at Devine Pastabilities, the sandwich shop that was voted Best Sandwich in San Diego in 2007, 2008, and 2009 on 10 News A-List. The signature pastability is the "torpasta," a hollow garlic roll stuffed with pasta.
Devine Pastabilities' menu also has "torsalads" (a roll stuffed with salad, $6–$9 value), sub sandwiches (turkey and avocado, steak and cheese, $6-$10 value), pizza (margarita, Greek pizza, spicy BBQ), dessert (cheesecake, tiramisu, and more), beer, and wine. Torpastas come in meatball, sausage and penne, fettuccini alfredo with broccoli, spaghetti, and 10 other delicious pastabilities.
Any of the pastas are also available as traditional, plate-based meals at the friendly, casual eatery. The owner, Damien Devine, got the idea for the torpasta as a fourth grader, when his love of spaghetti sandwiches inspired him to fill a school-lunch bread roll with spaghetti: "I decided to poke a hole in the roll, hollowed out the insides and filled it with spaghetti." That innovation propelled young Damien to spaghetti stardom, and it was only a matter of time before he perfected the ingredients and started serving this galaxy's best hot torpedo sandwich.
Support someone else’s childhood dream today, and who knows, you might get that house you designed in second grade with waterslides instead of stairs.
- The bread they use is very fresh and delicious,and toasted to perfection. Their pasta is wonderful and they serve the sandwich in these handy stands so you don't have to make a total mess of yourself. – Katy E., Yelp
- Plenty of beers on tap which is never a bad thing. This place is family owned and you can tell by how much effort is put into your meal... There are several vegan/vegeterian [sic] friendly meals here too. – Justin U., Yelp
- It's delicious, the staff is absolutely amazing, I eat here at least twice a week and it never gets old! – Kelly M., CityVoter
Pasta served in crispy, fresh-baked bread is a hearty carbo-combo perfect for escaping a relentless San Diego blizzard. However, not every homemade food concoction will result in gourmet dining and a childhood dream fulfilled. Many combinations can be unappetizing, or even dangerous:
- When mint is combined with tuna fish: Although a touch of mint can liven up a savory dish, and is especially common in Asian cooking, the application of mint to tuna fish results in a soapy, filmy taste leaving the tongue fallow and sepia colored, and unable to enjoy the forthcoming tiramisu.
- When beef is combined with poultry: What sounds like every meat fan’s dream can actually lead to acute psychosis, as the addition of a second main course or “dinner meat” creates a quantum schism within the decision-making synapses of the diner, resulting in disorientation, severely compressed time, and a strange phenomenon known as Avery’s Paradox, wherein the sufferer will gain knowledge of tomorrow’s winning lottery numbers, but the numbers themselves will choose to change.
- When peanut butter is combined with chocolate: Millions will perish.