For $58, today's side deal gets you a five-bag pick-up, plus tax-deduction services, from DoughNation Services in Portland (a $119 value).
- Help those in need by getting rid of unwanted, good-quality, used, or old clothing and household items that will be donated to nonprofits
- Free up closet, storage space
- Items tend to be worth more than garage-sale prices
- IRS allows for good-quality items to be claimed with resale-shop prices
- DoughNation will pick up bags from home, photograph items for IRS records and give them to you on CD, itemize list of item values (for items valued more than $500), deliver to nonprofits, and conveniently provide IRS Form 8283 (Noncash Charitable Contributions) to donors
- Receive up to four times the cost of service in IRS deductions (typical five-bag donation equals tax deductions from $500–$2,500, depending on items)
December 31 is the last day to claim deductions for 2010. Deductions depend on quality of items. Only valid for pick-up within 25 miles of downtown Portland; items can't be dropped off. Must call before November 21 or save for 2011.
DoughNation Services was featured in the Portland Business Journal in 2009.
- An important component of DoughNation’s services is providing detailed documentation of everything that’s donated. In addition to keeping computer records, they photograph each item to prove that it’s in “good or better condition,” as stipulated by the IRS. – Anne Laufe