According to The Iliad, live theater was invented when a group of Achaeans, disguised as a large wooden horse, surprised their Trojan audience with a stirring performance of Hamlet. As today's Groupon proves, the military tactic blossomed into an art form that continues to evolve: for $15, your child gets any two 60-minute acting classes from Drama Kids International (a $31.50 value). Classes are for children ages 5 to 11. Choose from four Houston-area locations:
- Humble: Check the schedule or call (281) 358-6100 to find a time that works for you.
- Katy/West Houston: Check the schedule or call (281) 829-2287 to find a time that works for you.
- Cypress: Check the schedule or call (281) 855-2555 to find a time that works for you.
- Sugar Land: Check the schedule or call (832) 885-4869 to find a time that works for you.
Teaching life skills as much as stage skills, Drama Kids' curriculum helps kids learn how to express themselves, while also fostering creative thinking and boosting self-esteem. Prepare your proto-adult for later-life triumphs such as winning an Oscar or fast-talking their way out of a questionable real estate deal with Drama Kids' Lower Primary or Upper Primary programs. Kids in the Lower Primary drama program, for ages 5 to 8, will further refine their vocal delivery and hone their social skills, interacting with classmates through the art of theater. In the Upper Primary program, for kids ages 9 to 11, students will explore more complex components of acting, such as speech, movement, and improvisation. Drama Kids' instructors motivate and inspire, helping a social butterfly hatch from the egg that is each child's personality.
Reservations required. Subject to availability. For ages 5–11 only.
Though Drama Kids International has yet to receive many online reviews, five Citysearchers give the Sugar Land location a perfect five-star rating. Student, parent, and educator testimonials for multiple locations are also available at the school's website.
- Very positive and enthusiastic instruction. They had a diversity of activities for the kids to perform. My kids had a blast. – LesGeoCity, Citysearch
- We saw results within weeks of admitting our son into this program. I could not believe the transformation that came about him. He speaks and reads with so much expression now. – aninsfo, Citysearch
- I had fun because I made new friends and had a great teacher. I learned how to act and express my feelings in drama. – Clarissa L, Testimonial
Drama Kids International
In the programs at Drama Kids International, youngsters learn more than how to fake-cry. Since 1999, the drama company has defined "drama" loosely, focusing more on the general goal of helping kids tap into their imaginations. The team does just that with their after-school programs and summer camps, which teach kids ages 5-18 to feel at ease on stage, whether they're starring in a comedy or making a speech. Some programs touch on behind-the-scenes skills, too, from stage managing to writing plays better than Hamlet 2: Shark Hamlet.