Today's Groupon gets you $22 worth of food, drinks, and people watching at Dukes West Hollywood for $10. If you've been to this Sunset Boulevard institution before, or if you're suffering from debilitating amnesia, it'll be your first time all over again because Top Design's Heather Ashton added a modern twist to the diner's gritty rock 'n' roll ambience.
Dukes's menu sates your inner Kerouac with all the American diner's greatest hits: Denver-style omelettes ($8.95), Mexican scrambles ($8.95), chili cheese fries ($5.95), and roast beef dinners ($10.95). If your diet runs more Moby (only eats naturally fallen apples) than Morrison (famous for eating only raw ground chuck), Dukes has also introduced a number of vegetarian and vegan options, including the breakfast burrito ($8.95), veggie quesadillas ($7.95), and chef Abel Sanchez's tofu sautée ($9.95). Meat-fawners can get their meat-hands on Dukes classic burger ($8.95) or one smothered in grilled mushrooms, onions, and Swiss cheese ($8.95). And now that Dukes West is open until 2 a.m., odd-hour-keeping accountants can cap their wild night with apple pie ($5), rainforest smoothies (pineapple, banana, orange juice, and coconut milk yogurt; $4.95), and good old-fashioned coffee.
As you peer over your pancakes with fresh blueberries ($8.95), you might even spot Tom Waits, Rickie Lee Jones, or Tom Waits arguing with Rickie Lee Jones. Countless celebrity regulars have been coming here since 1968 (Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, John Belushi, and more) to rub their temples, whittle gnomes out of pie tins, try to piece together what happened the night before, and figure out how stay famous.
- Just went here for the first time last week and liked it a lot... The old school decorations and randomly placed bar make it a fun late night place to eat. Thumbs up! – abd1350, Citysearch
- There is no better diner experience this side of Witchita [sic]... Nestled on the busy-busy of Sunset strip, you're bound to see an ex-celeb stoll [sic] in for a stack of pancakes. – lu_vu, Citysearch
Earl’s North Cleveland, Not as Rockin’
Dukes West Hollywood is a rock ‘n’ roll diner about which one Citysearcher says there’s “no better diner experience this side of Witchita [sic].” On the other side of Wichita is Earl’s North Cleveland in Cleveland, Ohio. While Earl’s tries its best, it definitely doesn’t live up to the rock ‘n’ roll experience that Dukes delivers. Here are some Earl’s rock ‘n’ roll–related hallmarks:
- Guy who claims he toured with Stryper gets the Clam Chowder every Wednesday.
- Thursday is Leather Jacket night. So far only the cooks seem to be going for it.
- Only signed photo on the Wall of Fame is of Dilbert cartoonist Scott Adams.
- Closes at 7:45 p.m.—in time for everyone to get home for Dancing With The Stars.
- The guys from The Velvet Underground go there, but not that Velvet Underground.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.