- $39 for $80 toward outdoor athletic classes
Eastern Mountain Sports Schools helps people try new things, learn new skills, and have more fun outside. They offer climbing, kayaking, paddleboarding, hiking, and skiing programs for people of all ages at locations throughout the Northeast. Click here to learn more about each program being offered and the location nearest you.
Eastern Mountain Sports
When it comes to exploring the outdoors, Eastern Mountain Sports has it covered. The School has been teaching visitors new skills and leading outdoor excursions since 1968. Those of all ages and skill levels can enjoy these adventures via private and group lessons and tours that cover numerous activities.
- Rock climbing: Certified instructors staff the American Mountain Guides Association–certified school and lead popular classes such as Rock Climbing 101. These outdoor classes provide students with hands-on climbing experience at destinations such as North Conway's Cathedral and Whitehorse Ledges and The Gunks in New Paltz.
- Ice climbing and mountaineering: For those looking to scale crags in colder weather, the school offers plenty of winter climbing programs. These range from single-day instruction to mountaineering workshops on the White Mountains's Presidential Range that span multiple days.
- Backcountry skiing: Experienced ski guides with training through the American Institute of Avalanche Education lead these Mt. Washington excursions. It's no surprise, then, that the courses focus on hazard awareness and understanding the weather. Sessions also cover necessary skiing gear and involve extensive practice traveling uphill.
- Kayaking and standup paddleboarding: Kayaking and standup-paddleboarding classes range from three-hour introductory lessons to multi-day sessions. In addition, visitors can rent kayaks and explore the area or sign up for trips to spots such as Narragansett Bay's Wickford Harbor and Olney Pond at Lincoln Woods State Park.