All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
· November 29, 2016
What You'll Get
Choose from Three Options
- $69 for weed control or fertilizer for up to 5,000 square feet ($125 value)
- $69 for an exterior perimeter pest-control treatment within 10 feet of the house ($125 value)
- $125 for weed control or fertilizer and an exterior pest-control package ($250 value)
Integrated Pest Management: The Ecology of Creepy Critters
There’s a lot more to pest control than spraying some chemicals and walking away. Learn to see an infestation like a pro with Groupon’s rundown of one common strategy.
No bug is an island. Each cockroach or mosquito—or mouse or rat, for that matter—lives in a community that includes both members of its own species and many other life forms around it. Surveying a pest’s entire neighborhood can help control an infestation long-term while doing the least amount of harm to the surrounding environment. That’s the philosophy behind integrated pest management (IPM), recommended by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as an eco-friendly approach. Most practitioners follow four basic steps:
1. Set thresholds for action. A single bedbug is probably a big problem, but a single ant sneaking across the floor is probably not. A pest-control pro with an IPM mindset will help clients understand what’s a warning sign and what’s business as usual.
2. Monitor the situation. The first step in treatment is a thorough inspection to be sure that whatever’s biting you or rustling around at night is correctly identified and located. It’s also important to note where pests are at in their life cycle—insect larvae will probably be treated differently than adults, for instance.
3. Apply an ounce or two of prevention. Depending on the results of the inspection, a solution could incorporate something as simple as sealing up a mouse’s entryways or cutting off roaches’ food and water sources. You could even get creative and plant natural pest repellents around your house, such as marigolds, lavender, or mint.
4. Control pest populations.It may indeed be necessary to apply chemicals. But an IPM plan will start small, perhaps targeting pests with pheromones that will prevent them from breeding or a bait that their species finds especially tasty. General-purpose pesticide sprays may be used, but only as a final option, since harsher chemicals can leach into the environment and pose health risks to the home’s invited guests.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires 90 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Valid only within 40 miles of zip code 35801. Valid only with Homeowner present.. Appointment required, 48 hour advance notice required. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift. Valid only for option purchased. Pest control excludes bees and termites. Weed control or fertilization availability dependent on season in which service is requested; consult with Eco Pro experts about which application is suitable. May be repurchased every 30 days. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.